Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gas pain and bloody and black stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gas pain and bloody and black stool

I am 26 years old and have had stomach problems for years. When I was 7 I developed an Ulcer that cleared up. I also have Gerd. My problem however seems worse this time. I have had a huge amount of gas. Gas so bad and it won't come out it wakes me up at night cause it won't come out. I basiclly live off Gas-X to get me through the day. This has been goin on for almost 4 months. The gas has folded me over and made me sweat, turn white and almost pass out due to the severe pain. I also have odd (BM's) one minute it's diarria the next hard and tough to come out. I have noticed mucus, blood and black stools. Also my urine is dark and smells like it never has before. I drink nothing but bottled water (about 5 per day) and maybe 2 sodas a week. Still these problems persist. I am afraid there is a serious problem and so far nothing from my doctor. Although the only things they've done are an ultrasound of my stomach, a blood test, and a HP Pilori test. It's affecting how I live, for instence right now I passed gas and I felt something come out. It was just mucus and blood not a lot but enough to scare me. Help!!
Black stools is suggestive of an upper GI bleed.  I would consider an upper endoscopy to see whether an ulcer has recurred.  I agree with the ultrasound and the H Pylori test, however the upper endoscopy needs to be done.

Depending on the cause, treatment options can range from PPI therapy to antibiotics (if H Pylori) is present.

The alternating patterns of constipation and diarrhea can be suggestive of irritable bowel disease.  Increasing fiber in the diet would be the first step in treating this.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, stomach problem was started.