Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gasping for Air at Night/Numb Hands

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gasping for Air at Night/Numb Hands

Somebody has got to help me please....I'm 36F. I have history of minor Mitral Valve Prolapse.  Heart otherwise checks out great.  I also have a hietal hernia.  Well over last few years (and very, very often over last few weeks), I wake up at night gasping for air, like my throat is closed, I have a quick sharp pain in chest and sometimes my hands go numb.  When and IF I can go back to sleep I can sometimes wake up every 2 to 3 minutes with more gasping, sometimes a warm rush takes over my whole body.  I have had a sleep study done for apnea but they found nothing (course nothing "happened" that night).  I am seriously very worried that I am going to stop breathing.  Can anybody help me?  Currently, I take Reglan at night but now I'm wondering if that's working anymore....I'm Sooooo tired!!  p.s.  I never feel like something's coming up its almost like it's more gaseous........one time I even thought I was breathing back in my own carbon dioxide....oh, and last night, it was wierd...my stomach had one quick spasm - boomp - right up under the covers.......
i am not sure as to what is causing your symptoms but i would advice you to see a doctor advice asap. not being able to breath and numbness in your hands is reason to be concerned and i would not want to guess work your symptoms, in this case i would call your doctor and set a appointment and explain what is going on no doubt he will set up some test to figure out what the problem is .maybe there is someone else on the forum with knowledge of your symptoms if so they will no doubt be willing to respond .check back later to see if you have another response.god bless
I had almost identical problems associated with my hiatal hernia.  It turned out to be a combo of nerve pressure and anxiety.  It felt as if I was going to have a stroke.  The more important issue as you battle this is to maintain control over your anxieties.  A slight seditive (Xanax) before bed helps me sleep and staves off 'attacks' during the day.

The sensation would begin innocently enough with a slight pressure in my stomach or back (sometimes burning, but NOT heartburn).  As it "crawled" up my chest it would begin to tingle and I would get short of breath and have 'flashes' throughout my body, sometimes I would set off in full tachycardia (strong fast heart-palpitations).

Xanax or other sedatives are NOT the solution to the problem, but they may make your nights more comfortable as you and your DOCTOR attempt to reach a solution.  I'm no expert, but I do sympathize and I hope you find your solutions until you can be fully healed.

Take Care and God Bless...

guru357