Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gastric Dumping after gallbladder removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dr Pho:

Thanks for reading my post, I had a Gastric Emptying Study shown which showed I had slight Gastric Dumping.  I had my Gall bladder removed in 2006 November and Have had persistent nausea since.  MY GI doc said this is the reason, the Gastric Dumping and it should improve on its own.  I was 1/2 empty at 28.10 minutes where normal is 41-50.  My GI doc said that it takes some time and it should be a few more months for it to subside, my nausea.  Endoscope was perfect.  I have read that it takes a year for it to get "back to normal" and may nausea will do the same.  I take compazine and it helps somewhat.

What do you think?  Does Gastric Dumping get better?
Difficult to say.  The resolution of gastric dumping would vary from patient to patient.  Typically, delayed gastric emptying, rather than gastric dumping, would produce more nausea.  Increasing the amount of fiber in the diet may help.  

You can also consider a 24-hr pH study and esophageal motility studies to evaluate the symptoms.  

An MRCP and/or Sphincter of Oddi manometry can be considered, as symptoms like a biliary duct stone or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction can lead to nausea s well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with your GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
My liver was fine,blood was fine and ultrasound of pancreas & liver good.
A related discussion, gb surgery--surgeon said he visualized a hematoma was started.