Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gastritis in Children

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gastritis in Children

My son is 7 and for a week he has been complaining of stomach pain and being tired. He eats sporadically and usually does not finish a meal because his stomach hurts. He is very active and to look at him he seems fine, but he will stop playing and come in and tell me it hurts. He will rest and then resume playing. Today he went to the Dr. who said it sounded like Gastritis, and I am to begin a food log for 10 days, and Mylanta before each meal and bedtime until we go back to the Dr. School is beginning soon and he has been nervous about it, so I really thought that was the problem, but it would not explain the tiredness. Last year we had problems with his stomach when he got up in the AM, whatever he ate(always very little)seemed to go right through him, but as the day progressed he was fine (nervous about going to school)? Worst case and he does have Gastritis what does this mean for him? Would diet modification help? Antibiotics? Will he be in pain all the time? Would it cause him to miss school or activities that he enjoys? Please help with information that might help calm this worried mom's nerves. Thank you!
Gastritis is a treatable condition. There are very good and safe medications for this condition. There's no reason your son can't live a normal healthy life with Gastritis. If your Pediatrician cannot find a cause, a consultation with a Gastroenterologist should be considered. That way you can rule out any serious problems and ease your mind.