Gastroparesis
Hi,I have posted here in the past and appreciate you service its
been a great help.I have had ideopathic gastroparesis for over
2 yrs now and have progressivly lost aprox 20lbs.My weight now
is 100-104 flux. Every time I get sick it drops and after some time it will get back to 104.I can not seem to progress beyond this status. I have been on disability since 11/99.
My doctor said if I dont see improvement in June,
when I was going to return to work,he will just continue the
disability.I feel weak most of the time and have been having
episodes of hypoglycemia due to what I eat or if Im not able
to eat enough.This is getting very upsetting for me.

*If I dont see any improvement do I just have to
"get by" like this?How long do I wait...........

*I am very concerned about the long term effect
of staying at my current weight and minimal activity level.
Is it harmfull to my body?

*Any suggestions as to what might be a "benificial next step"
would be greatly appreciated.I feel like I need to do something,
I cant stand watching my life go by..........

Thank you for your time!
Jeannine
(***@****)
Jill, I don't know much about amylase or lipase and what is normal and not, but the rest of your symptoms sound like what doctors have told me is GERD.  I get the same burning, gnawing feeling and I thought it was an ulcer, especially since I have a family history of ulcers.  But, the Upper GI proved differenttly.  I was diagnosed with GERD and have been on Protonix since.  It helped a lot more than Tagamet which made me really sck, but I still get the burning pain at night and have to wake up and eat.  Also, I get the acid reflux taste and a lot of burping after eating, but not really nausea.  Is prilosec working?  I am not sure why my doctor won't put me on it, she says that protonix and prilosec are the same.  I feel a lot better than I did a couple months back, but I go through phases.  I still have to take antacids too.  Is your gastrtis stress related?  My doctor also stated that getting off the PPI would be good and to switch to H2 blockers, like Tagmet and Zantac...but if I skip a day, I feel a lot worse, so I hope that I can get off the PPIs soon.
Good Luck and if you hear anything better...please post it!

Hi Everybody,

It's my first time posting here and I share the feelings of a lot of you. I am a 29yo male and have been suffering from gastroparesis for 2 years.  It tried everything from Prepulsid to Reglan and all kinds of antacids. The only thing that really helps me is domperidone.  I had problems finding at first,I went on a road trip to Canada to try and get it at some pharmacies but the pharmacist there did not want to take my prescription. I was able to find another place through my physician... I don't know if I am supposed to adverise over this site but you can write to me and obtain the name and info on my source of domperidone. micheal_valence***@****. This company seems to specialize in hard to get drugs and the pharmacist at their prescription counter is really nice -although sometime busy-:-)

I also heard the story about Janssen and domperidone/FDA approval. Knowing how this big pharma companies are ($$ driven) I don't see any quick access to domperidone here soon. This drug has been around for some time and they have done nothing! I rather stick with the source I have now!

Write to me!  I wanna help anyone who suffered as I did!..if I can.

Mike

Hi Everybody,

It's my first time posting here and I share the feelings of a lot of you. I am a 29yo male and have been suffering from gastroparesis for 2 years.  It tried everything from Prepulsid to Reglan and all kinds of antacids. The only thing that really helps me is domperidone.  I had problems finding at first,I went on a road trip to Canada to try and get it at some pharmacies but the pharmacist there did not want to take my prescription. I was able to find another place through my physician... I don't know if I am supposed to adverise over this site but you can write to me and obtain the name and info on my source of domperidone. michael_valence***@****. This company seems to specialize in hard to get drugs and the pharmacist at their prescription counter is really nice -although sometime busy-:-)

Mike

Hi Everybody,

Mike

For the past month I have been have severe stomache pain and a bit of gas. I had cut down on the fats and seen to be alright for awhile but now I am feeling nausea and shakey. I had ultrasound done and everything turned out ok. Could you please help me to see what is going on...   Thank you !!!!
I know I am not supposed to post questions here but they say the question posting is currently closed. Can anyone help me? I found postings on this site speaking of neurological side effects from the drug Reglan. I am twenty eight. I was prescribed Reglan as a supplement to Prilosec in the treatment of GERD. Since I begun taking the drug I have been experiencing a strange form of 'ansi-ness' in my right leg -- that is, a jumpiness leading to an inability to sit still. My specialist can't see any connexion, but the timing is perfect. Has anyone had similar experiences? What were these neurological side effects people have mentioned? Thanks, I would really appreciate any info.

Neil

Neil
I can't help but wonder:  Many of us with gastroparesis have lost our gallbladders.  I'm willing to bet that most did not have gall stones.  I am beginning to believe that it was the gastroparesis which led to the diseased gallbladder (everything backing up just too much on an overworked organ?????)  I also had a hysterectomy the year before (still have ovaries).  By the sounds of it menopause may suspend this thing.  Bring it on!
The "jumpiness" could very well be linked to the Reglan,  as it can cause "tics".  Some people are more sensitive to Reglan's side effects than others. I took Reglan for several years and had a problem with my eye twitching.  When I stopped the Reglan, the twitching also stopped.  If you didn't get a list of side effects and other info from your pharmacist when your prescription was filled, request one.  This should answer some questions.
Wow, I felt alone until I read this site.  I'll join the choir.  I was recently diagnosed with Gastroparesis after complaining for about 2 years of bloating, lots of belching, pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. Finally, I was sent for an endoscopy and after fasting since midnight (8 hours) bile was found in my stomach and evidence of undigested food.  Before I was diagnosed, I was taking low doses of Ultrase, which is a prescription capsule with digestive enzymes in it.  This helped somewhat.  I am now on Reglan.  Knowing of the side effects, I decided to try the lowest possible dose and work up, if needed.  I am finding some relief on just 2.5 mg (by quartering a 10 mg pill).  I take it 30 minutes before breakfast,  lunch and dinner.  Even this small amount makes me drowsy but I at least feel better.  Sometimes I take an OTC digestive enzyme complex thats easier on the digestive system than the ultrase (too much causes the runs).
My wife has gastroparesis too. No gall bladder, IBS, used to have GERD but had a nielsen fundal plication (stomach wrap) to fix it. Has been on Reglan (crawling skin, bad reaction), Propulsid (heart racing), Prilosec (not too good for stomach emptying process), carafate (good coating but doesn't help the original problem), zorfan (new to us, and we will have to see). I am currenlty looking into some alternative, natural, medications that may help. I read about the pot. No is the answer to that, so I am open to any other ideas. 20 years of suffering for my wife is pretty bad. I need some help for her. Thanks.
Randy -***@****
Hi My sister has this too.  she has found that not eating things such as tomatos works but however this is not a fix for every thing.  I hope this helps.  and if you could send me anything you know about it it would be grate.  my Email is ***@****
Take care and again my email is <***@****>
Does anyone suffering from gastroparesis suffer from these symptoms when beginning to get ill and during an episode...
I can feel my inner organs swell up...
I can feel the organs rubbing and catching on my ribs in the front and back....
I get a centralized pain in my back in certain areas on or under my shoulder blades...
  Do you suffer any of these symptoms.  It feels strange and frustrating at times.  
I would be happy to communicate with anyone suffering from this disorder.  
  Thank you.
***@**** or ***@****
To jeane Im a 40 yr old Fire lieutenant. I have taken a liquid gastric emptying study and passed and a solid gastric emptying test and failed. Im not sure if i have gastroparesis or not . Im nauseaus all the time. I lost 40 lbs and gained 30 lbs back. No prokinetic drugs help. any suggestions.
I have been dignosed with having diverticulosis and IBS but sometimes im in doubt because of the way it can come on so sudden. One hour I can be fine and the next hour I have terrible stomach cramps and vomiting bile IM at my wits end, can sombody help? it's not gullbladder that was  removed years ago also the bile duck was taken out. thanks S.
There was a new update on Hep C At Sonoma Co.CA on Sept 11,2000 Want to find the article
I to have suffered with gastro But I have a wonderful doctor and he has me on nizatidine, and domperidone and I have not suffered in the last 7years , all tho I have what he calls back up when the food goes down it will some times back up with bile only if I eat fruit or drink milk,pop,,If I eat slow I have no problem eating at all, but not thease foods that I said, also I don,t eat meat only some time if I am very relaxed, not to much mind you but I can and he does every thing he can for everyone I owe my life to him also, as I was taking perpulcid and ended up in death rowI was down for the count four times and he brought me back to the living. For breakfast I eat kelloggs just right and 1%milk its more water then milk one toastwith peanut butterand bottled,can,t drink tap water,lunch low fat cheese and a lettuce salad water dinner 1 patato brussel sprouts carrots spinishand any veggie I can get a hold of.I was 125lbs and now I am 140 so I am not loosing any more.as before I was sick all the time. now I ride my bike visit people and feeling great,still have some pain but Ive learnto live with it         (flaming-bear)

I have been suffering from gastroparesis for six years and have set up an egroup (like Listserv) for people with this to exchange information.  Sign up is free and located at www.egroups.com/group/gastroparesis.  If you would like to learn more about me before signing up, please check out my website at www.monkeygirl.atfreeweb.com.  I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of people with this, and I think the egroup will be really helpful so we can all learn from each other.  

i have a sickness of belching and upset stomach. I need to know is it gallbladder disease? I also have diabetes.
For years now, I have been suffering with gastoparesis.  I too have problems with appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  At night I sleep in Depends because I am terrified that My bowels will move without warning.  I had given up hope of finding a male friend that I could invite over to stay for the night.  Recently, I met a man that I really would like to eventually be come intimate with.  What can I do to ensure that my bowels don't embarass me? or how I can I tell him about my problem?  Maybe someone has had this experience and can advise me.  I am so lonely and depressed about how my health has turned out ( I am grateful to be alive).

I have read with interest all of the posts here. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis last week and I am waiting for my domperidone to arrive. I am trying to learn all I can about this disease, and quite frankly, I find it a little frightening.

I did want to respond to a few questions:

1. Reglan side effects. Reglan can cause a syndrome called EPS (extra pyrimidal symptoms) which can include akasthesia(the ants in your pants/skin crawling syndrome),dystonia (muscle stiffening), and sometimes something called oculorgyric crisis, in which your eyes can roll back in your head and the muscles in your back spasm and arch up. Sound scary?

Actually, these side effects can be adequately controlled, by adding Benadryl or Cogentin to your regime of Reglan. Of course, some people are very sensitive to these side effects (I am) and still couldn't take the Reglan, regardless of additional meds. Also, did you know that phenergan can also cause these side effects as well.

2. About the gallbladder issue. I also had my gallbladder out and did not have gall stones, just the inflammation and sludge, which could very well have been contributed to this disease. I take long term antibiotics for repiratory infections caused by my GERD and had been on Biaxin (eryc family) for 8 months. My problems got worse when they changed me to Tequin.

3. My GI recommended a gastric emptying surgery (modified gastric bypass with the large intestine being fashioned for a new outlet for the stomach contents.)

I will wait until I see the results of the domperidone, before deciding on any surgical procedures.

Really like this site for all the archival info and I am glad to know that I am not alone.

Lea
Please post & let me know how you're doing with the low dose of Reglan.  Do you experience drowsiness or any other side effects?
And do you have stomach pain, if so, does it help with that?
I feel like my life is passing by to Istay in pain and keep
looseing wieght too.
i would like to no why a person just bloats up suddenly,  full of gas, with lots of burps and feels really bloated
To Sharon:  I was told this is caused by taking in too much air. Such as gulping, sometimes when you get nervous you do this.
Some of you may have more than just gastroparisis.
I thought that is what I had as of a few months ago, but a visit to the Mayo clinic diagnosed me with autoimmune autonomic neuropathy.  This deals with a little more than just your digestive organs.  I have been living off Ensure products since February.  If anybody else has this condition please e-mail me at ***@****.  I have tried several different types of treatments and drugs.  If you know of any good support groups PLEASE let me know. I am 29 years old.  I have gastroparisis and plus many other symptoms that effect functions of other organs.  Some of you have some of the same symptoms that I am experiencing and just think that you have gastoparisis.  Please check in to neuropathy for your own sake.
Approximately 1 and 1/2 years ago I had a very bad pain in my right side (upper at liver and gallbladder) This went on for about six months, My doctor checked me (GI Lower) and said I had divorticilious? Inflamed colon.  My side continued to hurt.  I asked my new doctor (I moved from Marietta ga to AL.) to check me. He found gallstones, however at times when I take a deep breath, it feels like my appendix did when they had to be removed.  My doctor suggested I wait until I turn yellow before doing anything.  Can Cancer, or infection, or another type of medical problem occur, if I had gallstones a year and one half ago?
I had a change in my email address so wanted to put it back on... I have gastroparesis my dr does not know why this has been going on for about 6 years.. I have been to the university of gainesville hospital but they would not do anything because I was maintaining weight.  Well I just lost 13 pounds due to the nausea.. My medication are 60mg prilosec, synthroid  premarin corgard and back on reglan (which I hate) phenargan for nausea he just prescribed zofran. I have been on propulsid and domperidone  no help.. I am having alot of pain right now   my gall bladder has been removed as with all other female organs,, I have had ulcers in the past. My dr. just took a ct scan no results yet,, but I figure they will be normal.. I hate feeling terrible most of the time.. No one in my family understands, I am getting depressed. I feel better when I do not eat then I get to the really being hungry point.. I am careful what I consume.. I just need some support from whomever will give it to me.. My dr is at a point where he no longer can help me other than writing different presription to get me through my day.  I also have terrible constipation and bleed when I go to the bathroom just because of the hard bowell movement  and am taking Miralax for that.  So please help    Cheryl
Hello. I have been on Reglan for about 9 months now. While it has worked wonders for me, it has caused depression. My doctor recommended Domperidone but I don't know how to get it as it is only legal in Canada. Does anyone know how to go about accessing Domperidone?
I am writing to all that have had to endure this horrible disease. Yes, disease. No one wants to call it that. My husband suffers from gastroparesis. He was diagnosed four years ago. But has been suffering for six years. We had to go to Hopkins for a diagnosis. My recommendation is if you already have a diagnosis, don't waste your time or money at Hopkins. They run a lot of expensive tests, but really can't tell you much. Don't misunderstand, it is the best hospital in the country. The best treatement will come from there. But there are no meds that truly help. No test results that will help the problem.

I give my hubby shots of phenegran at home when it acts up. Take him to the hospital when he gets too dehydrated. They won't admit him anymore. They won't give him any meds for the pain, which I see as the worst symptom. If we could manage the pain, it would go a lot easier. There are times that he actually starts vomitting because the pain is sooooo bad.

He also has night sweats which cause lost sleep, which in turn causes another episode. The mose odd thing, my husband is NOT diabetic. Go figure, they have no idea why he suffers from this.

I do sympathize with all sufferers. Although I do not personally go through what you do, it is horrible to watch, and one is helpless to do anything but watch.

We too have tried to go for disability. We had a Dr. Schuster, top in the field, from Hopkins sign off that he couldn't work. But the state of Marlyand seems to disagree with the good doctors diagnosis. Don't you love how a state seems to think they are better doctors that the best ones out there.

If anyone wants to chat or has any suggestions for pain management, please email at ***@****.

Good luck to all sufferers of gastroparesis
I too, have been diagnosed with idiopathic gastroparesis. I am at the point now where i can not tolerate anything by mouth and my doctor simply gets annoyed as if i can control this. I have just come home from the hospital with no solution. I take domperidone 20mg qid. i am allergic to reglan(dystonic reactions), erythromyacin(anaphalactic shock) and cisapride is no longer available. I have not eaten more than 2 servings of jello and 2 gingerales daily. I have been on TPN in the past as well as j tube feedings with the most success coming from TPN. What can I do and where can I get help soon.
Dear Arlene -

You posted a message bback on May 16 regarding gastroparesis being related to hormonal situations.  I had severe attacks every month right before my period for at least eight years.  Finally, after my doctors tried all different types of medications they put me on birth control pills to see if this would help to regulate my hormonal cycle.  It did!  I haven't had an attack in over four years now.  I would be very interested if you had any information pertaining to this topic.  I am also looking for research information so if I come across anything I'll post it.

Jeannie
Dear Jeannine,
I have been having trouble keeping up my weight, too.  I'm at 104 and am presently taking xanax and Lotronex for IBS. Now I'm lightheaded and the floor seems to be moving when I walk.I'm home on a medical sabatical from teaching.  The doctors say it's caused by stress.  I feel like I'll never get better.  Have you any trouble with dairy products?  This is stressful and confusing.
I also suffer from gastroparesis.  I am on domperidone and that seems to help some.  I am wondering if anyone or their doctor has considered pyloroplasty to make food move through their stomach faster?  I am going to the Mayo Clinic in two weeks and hope to get some information there about ways to manage this condition.  It is a bit depressing to hear how sick many people are and that there seems to be no help.
I HAVE SEEN A SPECIALIST ABOUT THE GASTRIC PACEMAKER FOR GASTROPARESIS.  I WOULD LIKE REPLIES IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS DONE.  I COULD NOT TAKE THE DOMPERIDONE.  THANKS,

***@****
I have been dealing with gastropareisis for about three years, i am a 19 year old female trying to maintain a college education right now.  I have a very severe case of gastropareisis, or at least that is what doctors have told me.  I throw up any where from once a day to three times a day and then sometimes can go a couple days without throwing up but am usually nausious every day.  I also have severe pains that double me over and i am almost unmotile after them.  i have been on every stomach drug and other medicine imaginable.   i have taken the domperidone, reglan, acciphex, prilosec, prevacid, keflex, zofran, carafate, unltram, levsin, propulsid..... the list goes on and on and as you can see, you name it, i have more than likely been on it.  When i first started having trouble... real trouble, i thought it was from partying... but after the partying stopped, the problems went on and on.. i went to doctors, i had several tests ran and when i was 17, had my gallbladder removed because it would not ever show up on any tests.  i was accused of have eating disorders, anorexia and belemia because i was always tiny and kept getting smaller when everyone else in the family was "healthy."  I follow a diet which i have maintained a constant weight from...no vegetables with skins, no beef, no pork, no fattening dairy products and so on.  Yogurt has also be very beneficial... several doctors have always told me to eat yogurt that it kills any bad bacterias and aids in digestion and it is very easy on the stomach.  The best combination of medicine i have ever take is propulsid, oxycontin, acciphex and zofran... with the occassional ultram.  i take at least four tsp of propulsid four times a day, two tsp of zofran every 12 hours and always before bedtime and i take the oxycontin before bed time as well so hopefully i can sleep and not take the pain i get.. you see i do most of my getting sick through the night.  i have also heard about the pacemaker for the stomach and as a matter of fact the doctor i go to helped patent it but personally i feel it isnt something that should be considered for everyone since it is new on the market. My doctors have advised me to take disability but i have been reluctant and although they pulled me out of school, i plan on returning because i cant let something like this get me down... so i am going to go against their wishes and go back here soon.  it gets tough and for days at a time i dont go anywhere or out of the house... from my bed to the bathroom to the couch are how some of my days go.. but i am trying to tough it out.. and i am glad there are other people with this so i am not alone.
Maria  ***@****
My problem sounds like those of Patty and Carissa.  I've been sick for over a month-started with severe nausa and green, stinky diarrhea.  I've taken so much medicine and nothing seems to work.  When I think I'm having a better time I get sick again.  It feels like most of my food stops in my throat and then I throw up.  Also, I have a pain in left side.  I try to eat but the only thing that has worked so far is oatmeal.
I think I may have just personally e-mailed you. However, I too feel like I have gastroparesis. I have a wide open LES valve as well. I understand and feel just as you described, dear. How sad. I will pray for you tonight. I would like to hear any explanation of gastroparesis due to the fact that I can't afford much medical treatment.

Amy Jones
Hi. I am writing on behalf of my father who has had Diabetes for the past 39yrs. He is 51yrs. old and right now is hospitalized with Gastroparesis. The Dr. informed him that his stomach is no longer working. He has been taking the medicine reglen which is not helping at the moment.They want to increase his dose to double the amount. We don't know where to turn right now as far as answers to the question Can his stomach regain the ability to work again or has the Diabetes shut his system down that there is no chance? If anyone has any information that could help our family PLEASE e-mail me at ***@****. I would love to hear from you. We need all the help we can find to try and make my dad feel as comfortable as possible and help him deal with this disease on a day to day basis.

Thank You,
                                      Stephanie
I have been suffering from a very bloated stomach for a couple of years. It all started with extrem burning sensation after an endosccopy it reavled I had ulcer and was presribed losec whioch I still take it has helped. I had tried every thing my doctor could write, cispride propulsid (WARNING this drug cause weight gain) A specialist presribed BENTYLOL it has helped a lot maybe thsi medication can help some of you guys.
CAN anyone tell me how to help in my problem of bloating it becomes so much tt at my times my clothesdont fit.
Can anyone tell me if Gasoparesis is cureable.  My GI doctor seems to think this is what i have.  Did not due a test to confirm this.  Had scope for the throat and dr. found  bile in stomach and inflammation.  But had blood test for h-pylori which came back twice.    I have pain in stomach area, with belching and bloat.   Currently on Reglan 2x a day and nexium, 1x a day.  Would appreciate any feedback. Still do not feel that great.
My 17 year old daughter has been throwing up since Jan 2001.  She had week long episodes in Nov and Dec 2000.  At first we thought a stomach virus, then appendix and then gallbladder because of the pain.  Drs could find nothing wrong.  They said she had irritable bowl syndrome and an eating disorder.  We have changed drs several times.  Her gastric emptying test came back positive.  She throws up several hours after meals and whole food and medication comes up.  The drs are still saying eating disorder, but she fits gastroparesis to a T.  I did not know so many people had this problem.  Does anyone know of a dr who is familiar with this disease in TX?  I am willing to drive ANYWHERE.  I am so tired of fighting drs and trying to get them to listen to me.  Also--any ideas on food that she can eat will be helpful.  Thanks.  Please email me at ***@****
I dont know alot about gastroparesis. Everything I've read about it before tonight talks about diabetes which I know Idont have.I've had stomach problems for yrs. I'm 32 and had stomach problems in high school. I had my gall bladder removed at 22 (which i'm told is young for gallstones).I went to an internist just about  2 yrs ago.Endoscopy showed i had gastritis according to the internist. I've  been on Prilosec (20 mg 2x/day ) and reglan(5mg it was originally a higher dose but i started have problems with my central nervous system ) with no relief. The reglan does help with the nausea some  but i'm still nauseous everyday and the abdominal pain excruciating. I finally went to get a 2nd opinion and this doctor  immediately  said she felt with mt history it was gastroparesis and did the gastric emptying test you've mentioned. I won't have results for another few days. I guess my question is this . Can anyone tell me what the difference is between gastritis and gastroparesis? From what i can tell, they both involve the stomach emptying and they are both treated with Prilosec and reglan. Should also comment tnat I also suffered dizziness (and actual fainting)which you had mentioned but Dr's assure me the 2 aren't related.
I read what you wrote about your daughter and her digestive problems and can sympathize.  I was told that I had IBS and suspected eating disorder.  I am 25 years old and have been suggling with problems since I was in 7th grade.  at the age og 18 I was diagnosised with Pancreatitis and at the age of 22 I was diagnosised with gastroparesis.  It took a lot of Dr. hopping and medical test to finally be correctly diagnosised but it happened.  I have been hospitalized for months at a time for malnutrition due to chronic vomiting.  The best advice is to check the major medical centers in your area to find a physician.  If you have insurance try to get the book of practioners from your insurance company to see if you can find someone.  I have had a PICC line for TPN to try to help with my nutrition problems, I now have a J-tube which is providing nutrition directly into my intestines to help live a "NORMAL LIFE".  I hope you find a solution to help your daughter, she is so young to be experiencing such problems.  Your in my prayers.  If you need any ifo or just want to vent e-mail me at ***@****.
A related discussion, andrews71 was started.
A related discussion, Gastroparesis was started.
A related discussion, Gatroparesis was started.