Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gerd and light-headed
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Gerd and light-headed

I was waken up by severe chest pain like a blast several times at night and also feel light headed suddenly.

I was diognosed as Gerd and I'm taking protonix.I feel much better now. No longer have the pain that shock me from sleep.
But I still feel light headed during the day.

Is light headed related with Gerd?

Any ideas would be appreciated
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
Hello. The light-headedness maybe from your medication. I myself have gerd and when i was on prilosec i use to get light-headed and dizzy from it. Since then I have had my perscription switched to nexium and so far so good with that (knock on wood). :)

Hope this information helped you out a little bit!
Blank
Thanks.
But I even had the light headed or dizziness befroe the medication. I thought it was stimulated and caused by the acute Gerd chest pain. But now the pain has gone, light-headed is still there. Not so obvious. But it does happen now and then.

weiwei
Blank
I also had the dizziness and lightheadedness (also diarrhea) when the doctor put me on Prilosec. When I changed to Aciphex (the newest proton pump inhibitor) my symptoms stopped immediately. I would give it a try. It's expensive, but your doctor should have some free samples for you to try.
Blank
I felt light headed before taking any medication too.  I also felt like my breathing was restricted.  My doctor said that GERD can affect the way your heart beats at times- even to the point of feeling light headed.
Blank
Thank you. Glad to hear someone has the same feeling as mine about some other symptoms of GERD.
At first doctor thought it was anxiety, I don't think so at all.
Then the doctor guess maybe it's inner ear problem, I take the medicine, it doesn't help either.

I can feel it is the chest pain at night cause something like pressure at my chest, then my head suddenly becomes light headed.(this all was more severe before I take the Protonix medication for Gerd). It lasts one second and goes away. Maybe severe pain can cause lightheaded too. At daytime I feel light headed and sudden little dizzy frequently, but can't feel the pain.

I hope the symtom gose away after the Gerd is cured.

Xiaowei

Blank
A related discussion, light headness due to guerd was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity