Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Getting worried, Abdominal Mass Growing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Getting worried, Abdominal Mass Growing

Hello, my name is Candi and I am 26 years old, 5
Imaging the lesion should be able to determine what it is.  If the ultrasound is inconclusive, a CT scan or MRI can be obtained.

Liver masses or enlargement can be caused by a variety of conditions, including cysts or cancer.  The further imaging studies should help.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  You always have a right to a second opinion if the diagnosis continues to be in question.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
Hi Candi,

That is very interesting to read about your problem, it is almost identical to what I have been experiencing.  Although the feeling of a mass, came later and unfortunately is felt in my chest. (how that happened, I have no idea).

A month ago, I was admitted to hospital with excruciating pain in my lower abdomen and central abdomen.  It came on suddenly and for no reason at all (I was cooking at the time).  Long story short, it turns out that I have GERD and quite possibly looking at this as being a condition for life, in terms of medications.

Like you however, it soon became very obvious to me that there is a lot more to it than merely GERD.  As my blood pressure, heart rate and breathing difficulties (just to name a few) have rapidly increased.  And all the symptoms that I first reported when admitted to hospital, are still very much present.  Only now, the discomfort of what I feel as a growth of some sort, is becoming very hard to notice.

A chest x-ray (for my rapid heartbeat) and an abdomen x-ray were done.  The results came back clear, nothing abnormal in the report.  And like your doctor, for some reason mine put it down to a problem with my ribs too.  Which does seem rather "questionable" doesn't it?  I don't how reliable x-rays are but I certainly hope that both of us have some luck with them finding the problem.  I mean it is easy for them to "maybe" a lot of things but we do know our bodies well enough to know when something isn't right with it.

Good luck to you Candi, come back and let us know how you get on.

Regards, Ange
I had a fist sized lump under my right ribcage for 2 years.  I can't begin to list the test I had to determine what it was........all the doctors felt it, but could not explain it.....until on doctor said....do a stand-up MRI.  Turned out to be my kidney.  It fell out of place into the inguinal area at the iliac crest....top of hip bone and pressed up against the front of my abdominal wall when I would stand. It is called Nephroptosis; floating kidney; hyper-mobile kidney or renal ptosis.  I have had my kidney stitched to the back wall, it's called a nephropexy.  In the world of urology the procedure was abandoned in the early 1900's, but I found a doctor to put it back in place.  Hope this helps you.
I have this wonderful abnormality. I first thought it was something growing in my abdomen dr thought it was a tumor ended up being severe renal ptosis. I had surgery to fix it and it didnt work my kidney is literally right next to my belly button and now i suffer from gastroentestinal problems. I also need to find someone who knows more about this because i have had a small bowel obstruction and it caused mesenteric artery and duodenum issues that i am now seeing a gastrologist for. This problems seems so funny but it can cause a lot of problems. I am aslo suffering from pulmonary and heart issues at 25, slowly but surely its causeing issues with me. especially when i only noticed a small lump under my right ribs. Personally i think this need to be taken more seriously becuase after all if your kidney is attached to your mesenteric artery and aorta and its pulling on them i suppose an aortic rupture or what have you could take place. The real problem is why is the adopose tissue that supposed to keep it in place is missing and what blood vessels and arterys can be affected. My problem at 18 showed none and with the surgery only working for approx 2 years and now 7 years later i have all of these issues steming from that then this problem need more of a look considering, but its still a joke in the medical field and like im my case your the one that suffers. I have many doctors i see know all not understanding whats happening to me, buts its simple if this disorder is taken seriously. I can not find a doctor who really knows about this. so good luck to you all and i hope this dosent happen to you!