Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Globus/Tightening in Throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Globus/Tightening in Throat
I have been sick for about 2 months with pneumonia, cough, candida and now very bad globus sensation and tightening in throat (feels like I'm being strangled). This came on after a bad bout of flu (violent vomiting) but has stayed on for weeks...could the vomiting cause some damage/irritation or could this be candida in esophagus? Please advise and thanks.
it could be esphageal reflux, or just you been stressed out.you neck muscles get tight.a way to check is taking either a muscle relaxer or a xanax or valium when you get it and if it goes away within a half hour is stress.i get that too.try it.
I'm doing a "cut & paste" of some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS, that you can run by your docs, to make sure they are OK for you to try. If your "globus" is due to gastric reflux, these tips may greatly help!

Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray
VCD is Vocal Cord Dysfunction, which can manifest (show) itself as throat tightness. Look at my website about VCD, at http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

Concerned lady