Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Grapefruit juice

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Grapefruit juice

I am a 66 year old male in generally good health.  I currently take tetricycline for adult acne, prevacid every other day, 1 aspirin daily.  Along with a well balanced meal, i drink 1/2 to 1 quart of grapefruit juice a day and have for 2 years. I have heard of the dangers of drinking grapefruit with medications and am careful not to drink GF juice within a couple of hours of taking my meds. For about 1 month I have been slow to urinate.  I drink plenty of water daily.    My question is, does the amount of grapefruit juice that one intakes have any effect on their kidney function?  And is the amount of grapefruit juice that i intake on a daily basis in any way harmful to my health?
Tags: Health, meds
From what I've read about this, I recommend you stop drinking grapefruit juice until you are NOT TAKING any of those medications at all. There is not enough known at this point, to say it's safe to continue drinking the grapefruit juice.

Check out the book "DEADLY DRUG INTERACTIONS", The People's Pharmacy Guide, by Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon, PhD. I have the 1997 edition, and there's a more recent one too. This book discusses the problems of grapefruit juice causing dangerous effects when mixed with certain meds, even when the juice is drunk hours later than the meds are taken!! The effects can be deadly.

Err on the side of caution, would be my advice. If you ever get to the point that you are able to treat your medical conditions holisticly, and successfully, then you could resume drinking grapefruit juice. (no meds to interact with the grapefruit juice).

Good luck to you!

Sincerely,
Concerned lady

***@****
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

As to the slow urination - could your prostate possibly be enlarged? Very common among guys your age.
A related discussion, grapefruite juice was started.