Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Green Stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Green Stool

For about a week, my stool has become more green. Now it's solid green color (forest green). Could it be a reaction to imipramine and carisoprodol that I take for fibremyalgia? I do not feel badly or sick. Thanks!
Tags: stool
Ummm..I have had green stool for almost 2 days. The color is crayola green. I ate nothing out of the ordinary, and no NEW medications...I have no pain, troubly passing stool, etc. what could my problem be?
has anyone had any problems with green poop while taking their medications? i take prilosec and have noticed that i am experiencing pain in my body and green poop. anyone who wants to chat about about their stomach troubles feel free to email me - ***@****  thx, melody
George -
Consider if you have made any changes in your diet, or added any dietary supplements.  I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have had occasional green stool also.  I know for a fact that an increase in iron, whether it be in the form of a supplement, or diet, can cause stool to become green.  Also, I had an experience recently where I was eating a lot of cashews, & my stool took on a greenish appearance.  Also, some multivitamins can cause this as well.  Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the possiblity of your medications causing this, but wanted to provide some food for thought - pardon the pun.  Good luck!
Thanks for the help! It may also be the sunflower seeds I have eaten. The cashew response may be a link? Will stay off the seeds for a couple weeks and see what happens. Thanks again!
Help, I am a 28 year old female who has been having green stools for about 2 weeks now also....neon green and is getting worse. Ive also noticed severe weight gain in my stomach...I look about 8 months pregnant, but all test showed negative. I'm tired all the time also...Ive gained 20 pounds and still gaining and I havent changed my diet or anything. I'm really worried that something could be really wrong, but I dont have any medical insurance, and no one will see me. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong and if I do need medical help?
I too have been having green stools all of a sudden.  I have had them for a week and have no changes in my diet or medications.  What could this possibly mean?
I have also had green stool for the past two weeks or so. I haven't changed my diet much.  Just eating the same old junk (i am in college) as usual.
what could cause green stool
I had a urinalysis test done and my Urobilinogen is 1+ is that a normal range. WBC 10-25. Will you explain these test for me.
Thank you.

Deloris
Thank you.

Deloris
Thank you.

Deloris
I have chest pain whenever I breath and even worse pain when
I lay down. What would caused this problem.

Deloris
i have never had green stools.....but if i did i can imagine how you all feel.......i would think that it is coming from somewhere in your body rather than what you are eating if it is lasting so long.....for the young lady with no health insurance....seek out a catholic hospital or public hospital for evaluation.....they will help you out regardless of your lack of insurance.......if it was me, i would go in and have blood work done at a minimum
I have this off and on.  The doctor told me that it was from the over production of bile.
My stool is green as well, I have not eaten anything unusual or taken new medications.  I do not feel badly sick but have had a cold for about a week and have had lower back pain on my right side.

Hopefully we're not dying!
My 8 year old daughter has had green stools for 3 days and I thought it was something she ate but I have been watching what she eats and it is the same as always.  SHould I be concerned?
My childs stool is bright green.  Could this be caused by something she ate.  Could it be an iron deficiency.  Please advise what would cause this.
Too much grape koolaid can cause green stool.  Sounds silly but check it out.
stool is green ane full of green mucous what is it?
I have green turds? Is this a problem. It looks like there is some kind of moss attached.
my son has green stools for about a week
Green stool may also be caused from bile being secreted from the liver.  This can cause nausea but is not serious.
Today for the first time in my life I had a very kelly green stool. Also I have had bloating and cramping, esp. on my right side wrappping arounf to my back. Do you know what some of the possible causes of this might be?
Thank you for answering this. It's Sunday night and I am a bit concerned.
I'm interested in finding the answers to this.  I'm having the same problem.
I have had green stool for the past week, and it started the
day after I began taking B12 supplements;I think you all had
the right idea when you were talking about an iron deficiency
being the cause.That in hand with the overproduction of bile
are probably the culprits of this big grassy poop problem.
If I was any of you, I'd do as red feddie suggested and get
some blood tests run to check out your iron levels.Probably
nothing serious....just kinda odd when you look down into the
bowl and it looks like you have algea growing in your intestinal
tract.
I have just started having green stool for about 2 days now, but have been feeling very run down for almost 2 months. My mind feels like it has shut down and doesn't want to restart. I have gained over 20 pounds and have had the watery runs for about 5 weeks. So far the tests have come back normal.

No diet change ... No habit changes ... No added stress

Any suggestions??????
HI my name is jarred and i have been having green stool for about 6 months and its soild and diarerreia and i have had tons of problems with my stomach including (ibs) so let me know if there is something wrong with my im only 14!!!!
I have been having occasional green stools for about two months. Never took notice as they were so irregular. Recently, I have been having some loose stools and the green stuff is more regular. Please advise.
Well, I found the following, which might be helpful, check it out...

http://www.mindspring.com/~drwarren/qa970616.htm#q4
I have been having green stool for a few days.  No change in diet.  What could this mean?
I just got done going poop and it was green! Now what does that mean?
If my son, daughter, or I consume anything that has purple, green, or blue dye in it such as grape flavored candy, pop, kool-aid, food, medicine, jello,...we have the same problem with green stool.  

These dyes also will make my son sick with bloating, diarria, and stomach pain.  There were other problems they created but that is getting of the subject.  This started with him when he was a year old and he is now 25 and still has these reactions.

Thank goodness my daughter and I don't have the other reactions my son has.
green stool is from bile.. it is bright yellow in the stomach and turns green as it moves through the bowels. If you have your gall bladder taken out you will actually have yellow stools b/c it fills the bowels without regulation from that organ.
i got for about aweek agreen stool i fill sick vomiting and so on my test are good what is it?
My stool has become green and loose I have not changed my diet and I do not feel sick.
my son 17 has been complaining of stomach cramps and pains and his stool is green. any advice
I have a had fluttering and pain once in awhile in the lower back on the left side near the bottom of the rib cage.  The fluttering is predominantly when i lay on my back at night .  Now for te past 24 hours, I have green stool.
I HAVE HAD GREEN STOOLS FOR 4 MONTHS. EVEYDAY WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
I AM SCHEDULED FOR AND ENDO AND COLON SCOPE.I CAME ACROSS THIS SITE AND FEEL BETTER I AM NOT ALONE. I AM AMAZED THAT GRAPE KOOL-AID CAN CAUSE THIS. I DRINK IT EVERYDAY. WOW. I WILL STOP AND SEE IF IT HELPS. IN THE MEAN TIME READ THIS ARTICLE, IT MAY EASE YOUR MIND.
Well It has been 3 days now --no kool aid and guess what??? NO-NONE-NADA green stool!!! I feel soooo relieved! Thanks to this page for all the help and suggestions!
My 15yr. old has had green stools for about a week now.  Is
complaining about stomach aches that come & go.  Should I be
highly concerned about this?  And what could it possibly be?

I started with the green stool 2 days ago.  The first time i noticed it was actually one stool that looked like a swirlie.. brown changing to forest green.  The only thing i have changed
is that i bought a case of Blue Powerade (sports drink) and drank all 12 cans in the last 4 days.
my stool is green
My four year old has had green stool and stomach bloating, gas and pains off and on for one year. His stomach is so bloated some days he looks pregnant.  I took him to a pediatric gastro doctor who did alot of tests (mostly blood & upper GI series ) which shows everything is normal)  I cut out all artificial sugars, ie: koolaid, freezpops and sugary cereals.  It seemed to help .  However, I am now noticing when he is upset or stressed (he hates going to pre-school), his stomach gets distended again and he gets severe gas, green stool and diareah like symptoms.  We think it may be irritable bowel from stress.  If your're Italian, have a blood test for Celiac Disease.  It's an allergy to wheat products which could cause these symptons. Also, I was told you would get these symptoms if you have traveled out of the country.  Parisites can live in your bowels for years and can only be detected through a sigmoidoscopy.  Have those two tests done.   Good luck!!
;)
I'M IN A BAND AND WE ALL HAVE GREEN POOP. MINE WAS DIFFERENT
IT WAS GREEN WITH YELLOW AND ORANGE SWIRLS AND HAD THE FRESHEST SMELL TO IT.
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME, AND TELL ME WHY THIS COULD BE?

244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244 244
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Cashews sounds to be a possibility. I didn't have dinner last night, just chocolate covered mixed nuts (including cashews) and popcorn out at the theater. Needless to say, I was nauseated and sick early this morning. The green monster came out early this afternoon. Very awkward. This happened to me once before (my husband blamed the chinese food I'd had for lunch) I really don't know what caused that one incident nor this one, for that matter.
I have had green stool for the past few days, and I have
no idea what is wrong.  The only change in diet I can think of is that I'm now drinking herbal tea and eating lots of black licorice.  Could that be the culprit?
I too have had bright green stool with no changes in my diet, and  I don't feel sick.  I can't believe how many of us there are.  So weird.

The only reply that seemed to have a clue for me was the one that mentioned B12 supplements.  I did start taking B12 one day before the green stool started.  I was so scared I had my friend look because I didn't think she would believe me.  She is a Mom and had never seen such a thing.

My suggestion for us all is to look up which foods are rich in B12 and see if our diets may be too rich in that vitamin.  Personally, I'm going to see if stopping the supplement will clear up the problem for me.
I have had green stool for two weeks now not every time i go to the bathroom but once or twice a week. I have been taking lipitor could this be from the medication?
THIS IS REALLY SAD!  I had green poop too. You had green poop. All these people had green poop. Who's going to help them?
I ate a basket full of blueberries this morning and at 3:30 pm had a green poop.  I figure that was the cause
I had green stool for the first time this morning,immediately I was worried.  Then I read some of the replies having to do with grape kool-aid.  It just so happens that I bought a 12-pack of Grape Minute Maid about a week ago and that is the first time I have had anything grape flavored in the last 3 to 4 years.  I have not chaged my diet at all, I am not sick, and I am not on  any medication (not even vitamins).  So I am going to cut out the grape drinks and see what happens, but I have a feeling that this has cuased the green stool.
why is my stool green?!
Bright green coated stool this morning after munching black and orange tortilla chips last night.  It must be the dye in the black chips!
I notice that sometimes my stool is green .  I was recently
diagnose with hiatus hernia.
I have green poop too. No change in diet/lifestyle. It's pretty unsettling when you look down into the toilet and see a couple green armadillos staring back at you. However, I just remembered I had a St Ides last night that was the color of windex...guessing that may be it...good luck gang
Ok...I corroberated the blue-dye of sugary drinks hypothesis with my roommate...I asked my roommate who also consumed the windex colored st ides  if he happened to take green dumps...he replied with a yes...so there you have it gang...could just be chemicals/dyes in some of the stuff we consume
I have been suffering from abdominal pains.   I went to the doctor and was told I had a poison in my systom. He prescribed Flagyl and Prilosec.  Since taking this medicine my stool has been green.
I have been suffering from abdominal pains.   I went to the doctor and was told I had a poison in my systom. He prescribed Flagyl and Prilosec.  Since taking this medicine my stool has been green. Please advise if thier is a problem.

Robert O'connor
My stool has been green (forest green-grass green).  I do not take any drugs, only vitamins.  No abrupt change has been made to my diet.  WHAT"S going on??!!
I have had loose, green Bowels for the past year & my doctor says nothing is wrong with me, he won't run tests, i have asked for a second third opinion, & all the same. Every time i eat, doesn't matter if i just have a bite of soa sandwich 5 mins later i have to go to the bathroom & it is icky & hurts. If there is anything ya';; can tell me please..
***@****

i like eating my stool.
My friend took a green dump in a mug
green poops
d
Green Stools come from:

0.  All stools are green at some point.  They change from yellow to green to brown as they pass through the system.  Bile that cannot be reabsorbed in the intestine can cause a yellow or green stool color.  Common occurances are (in addition to the obvious eating of spinach and green crayons):

1. undigested milk in babies

2. In impovershed countried the green stool is classical of severe malnutrition - especially oedematous malnutrition - the green stool is often accompanied by some clear mucus and does not have a bad - or even typical faecal - smell. In the early stages the patients will pass orange stool which will turn green on exposure to the atmosphere (it normally takes about 30 mins and the green color starts from the surface). This is due to oxidation of the bile pigment in the faeces. Such stools clearly have very little antioxidant capacity. As the patients become more malnourished the oxidation starts to occur inside their intestine and the stool is passed as a bright green stool - so called "starvation stool". It is a sign of major antioxidant deficiency and these patients need to have a diet rich in antioxidants with additional lipid. The chemistry of these changes has not been investigated -but I'm sure that this would give us insight into how best to treat the patients.
Electrolyte analysis of these stool show that they are high in potassium and low in sodium - they also have a relatively low volume - this is NOT dehydrating diarrhoea and should NOT be treated with rehydration solutions - the management is to continue to give supra-maintenance amounts of the diets designed for severe malnutrition.
Green stool for the first time in my life today.  Only change in diet: red wine (which I never drink) at dinner last night.
Hi my 40 yr old husband started having diarrea (diarrhea) 3-4 days that was green and has turned to yellow about now. He is on atitbotics because of a sinus infection. He had split up blood and when he blew his nose he had some blood. So he went to the doc and he said it was a sinus infection. Most concerned with the green/yellow diarrea (diarrhea). He seems to be getting his appetit back and has no pain anywhere,, Thanks for any help
I have noticed that whenever my kids eat alot of Fruit Loops or Lucky Charms cereal their poop is very green--sometimes neon! It must be the dyes.
for about two years I've had pain with akind of movement or mild
charlie horse cramping below the sternim.Ifeel sick all the time
and have a pouch sticking out about three inches above navel and
I never fill like eating.It never goes away
I awoke today to pencil thin style stool with green color what could this be and i have a little discomfort in the abdomen?
I notice when i wipe too sometimes there is a little blood on the tissue and sometimes a little streak on the stool?

Any help please?

Any help please?
I have recently begun taking metabolife 356. Could this explain my green stool.
Blue corn tortilla chip?  Forest green stools started the day after I bought a bag of blue chips, which I love.  I never noticed green stools before, but from now on I will watch to see if there is a conection.
IWAS BLEEDING FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME THEN I QUIT AND I GOT GREEN STOOL FOR ABOUT THREE DAYS, THEN IT TURNED BLACK. I HAD NO  BLEEDING FOR A WHILE, NOW I'M BLEEDING AGAIN WITHOUT ANY STOOL. WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS?
Yup! I got green stools too. Forest Green. I went to the doctor and she said it could be from something I ate Spinich/ Blue Chips? IF it lasts longer than a week without these in my diet I have to go back to the doc. Glad we aren't alone.
My poop is lemon yellow.
I have a crease in my stool, I was told it's because I have a tailbone problem.. Have any of you ever heard of this?
Please Stop!!!! Look, all these green poops are nothing to be afraid of. Some food additives (Food colors, etc) can make your poop change color (green, yellow, blueish, etc). Try eating a lot of Fruitty Pebbles (cereal) for at least two days or probably for even one day and you will get green Poop!! Certified!! Whenever I eat this cereal my poop turns green. I asked a few experts on this matter and it all seems to be the product of non-digestible vegetally-derived food colorants. This is why all your stools tests appear normal!! There's nothing to be afraid of.

However, if you have constipation or other related problems, make sure you see a doctor as this could be the result of a serious health problem. GREEN POOP! I get it every time I eat Fruitty Pebbles.  Please stop posting about this green poop stuff.
I SHAT A BIG PURPLE BABY LAST NITE........
I'm so glad I found this forum!
I had green stool for the first time today and I was really worried about it.  It's loose and definitely grass green.  The only thing I could think of was that I drank a LOT of purple punch at a party last night. I called my doctor and he said it was normal and blew me off basically.  At least now I can be sure it was because of the punch.
I was really concerned because all week I have had very bright green stool. I have just recently gone through a very traumatic experience, so I thought maybe something was wrong with me because of all the stress. Then I finally found this message board and I'm so relieved. It was the Blue corn tortilla chips!

Thanks everyone!
About green stools one day i had eaten too much liqourice, It seemed to be the cause of my green stools.
I have had green stools for 2 days now. I have  been snacking on licorice sticks. I also believe that the licorice is the cause.
My sister started to have green stool two days ago...she is not on any medication.  What could be the cause?
I have been having really bad stomach aches for the last month, and just recently when I went to the bathroom it was green.  I am wondering what this is, and if it is serious?
Today, I've had several bowel which have been light green, what could be causing this?  There had been no pain involved. Thank-you, JMB
I came across your question when trying to find the 'green stool' connection myself.  I have found that when I drink one large glass of concord grape juice that my stools turn, as you say, "forest green".  I was worried until I discovered what triggered it in me.  The manufacturer and the internet seem to have no further information about this connection.  Maybe more evidence will surface because medical authorities are pushing purple grape juice as good for your heart.
Hope this was what caused your situation also and not a health problem.
My son is 21 and a half months old and we have had many experiences with changing green poopie diapers. The thing is he is also lactose in tollerant ( we believe, he is getting a stomach biopsy to be sure) and he may have a bacteria in his bowel which causes him non-stop direah. When he has bowel movements that are green they actually dye him bumm green and no amount of scrubbing or bathing will get it off of him. It has to fade out. This has been going on for about 3 months for him now. He does not seem to have any discomfert or pain with it. He also does not drink any grape juices as they would only make his direah worse than it is already. We are seeing a GI Specialist about it. I will post anything that is told to me about the issue. Maybe it might help someone else who has this same thing. I know it may be serious but I can't help but laugh when I go to change my son and he has a shamrock green bumm. He was all set for ST. Patty's day. :) If anyone else finds anything out let us know. Thanks :)
I have green poop too. *bleah*

Kinda freaked me out at first, but I'm glad it's probably not that big of a deal. Glad I found this site to help me feel a little better.

I am an 18 year old female and I also have green stool, and think this might be helpful...

I had my blood works done and all that showed up was that my iron levels were low, and then I started getting periodical stomach pains like many of you have discribed.

I was then informed that I had Gastritis (inflamation (inflammation) of the stomach, for those who dont know) which was caused by an infection, and agrivated by the acids in my stomach.

The symptoms (stomach pain and possible reflux [indigestion]) are also worsened by salty foods and caffeine (coffee, chocolate, coca cola...etc...), so these should be avoided, but a trip to the doctor is definatly recomended, as pills to lower the acid levels in the stomach to allow the infection to heal itself, such as Ranihexal should be prescribed.

I hope this has been helpful to someone out there....?
please feel free to send me an email and let me know :)

becky.***@****
Sorry, I just wanted to stress again that anyone on here who has been saying that they are having stomach cramps/pains or whatnot, should DEFINATLY get themselves off to a doctor, because it will only get worse untreated, not better....
Lots of things can cause green stool, lots of foods even purple coolaid.  Don't worry too much about it....

Marijuana smoking can cause it too.
For About four days now my stool has been solid green,never seen this before!! What could it be
?
I take high blood pressure medication.  Last few days, experiencing green stools.  Green as grass. What could cause this?
Our entire family has had green stool recently.  One person for more than 2 weeks.  The others for a few days.  We have also been eating a lot of red and blue tortilla chips.  Wondering if that may be a factor?  Anybody know?
I had really bright green stool for the last week, it just so happened i started drinking grape little hugs throughout that time, i am almost sure that is the cause.
green stool
I have had pain underneath my breast like gas pains, back pains as well and abdominal pains. I tool a womens laxative. I worked like it was suppose to but the first time it worked I had a very stringy stool.  I am on day two now and my stool is still very loose and a green color.  I feel ok but, at first I did not. Very tired.  Do I have to see a doctor?
I had blood in stool i few weeks ago now my stools are either whitish or green
I have had green stool off and on for the last month. After reading comments on this thread I linked the green stool to about the time I started drinking grape juice three or more times a week.
Who wouldda thought?
I have severe abdominal pain for a day or two but have ahd green stools for 2 weeks ,before that it was white stools ,is this a infection?
Ive been having trouble with green stool latley.
The last time i went it was very dark green and loose.
I take no medication at all. i have taken metabolife but not on a regular basis. is this normal or should i be concerned?
Did you get any answers? I am having the same problem
My stool is green, it jsut happened today.  My stomach hurts, and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom every 2 or so minutes.  I am not taking any meds, what could this be?
AFTER HAVING A NISSEN FUNDIPLICATION AND CHOLECYSTECTOMY DONE, I HAVE ON OCCASION PASSED GREEN STOOL.. WHY IS THIS? IS THIS RELATED TO SURGERY OR WHAT OTHER POSSIBILITIES COULD CAUSE THIS.  I AM TAKING NO MEDS AT THIS TIME.
Me too, what is it?  I don't take any of the chemicals mentioned, but I ate a lot of black licorice this weekend.
A related discussion, Poop is green was started.
I just went to the bathroom and my poop was green.  I don't know what I should do.  Is there a problem.
A related discussion, GREEN POOP! was started.