Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Green Stools.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Green Stools.

What causes green stools?  Years ago I was told it was caused by a bacterial infection, or over-growth of natural GI bacteria.
  When it has happened before, it only lasted 1-2 days.  This time it has been nearly a week, and still going.  I am a Celiac, so the fact that the stools are loose may or may not be important.
_Dear Mithranda,
Stool color is generally influenced by the diet. Yellowish brown, green, tan and orange colored stool have all been described and are considered normal. Black, tarry stools or red, burgundy colored stools are indicative of recent gastrointestinal bleeding. Clay colored stools indicate a blockage of the bile ducts. If your stools are formed then I wouldn't worry about the green stools. On the other hand, the fact that your stools are loose and that you have celiac sprue are important. It would be important to know how strict you are about keeping to a gluten-free diet. The level of anti-gliadin antibodies over time can show how compliant you are with the diet. If the level is declining, then you are probably doing a good job with the diet. Another issue is whether you have an intestinal infection. Have you traveled anywhere recently or have you taken any antibiotics? Are you taking any medications that can cause loose stools? You may need to have stool cultures sent or have an upper GI endoscopy or a colonoscopy performed. Some investigators have reported an increased incidence of lymphocytic colitis with celiac sprue. Lymphocytic colitis is diarrheal disorder that causes an inflammation in the intestinal wall that can only be diagnosed on colonic biopsies. Good luck to you. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call  1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: stool color, celiac sprue, lymphocytic colitis
_