Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Green stool?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Green stool?

I just recently went on a very low carbohydrate diet.  It's been about 6 days and I noticed my stool is now green in color.  Is there something I should be worried about??  Or is is since I have altered my diet so dramatically that this occured?
1 Comment
Your change in stool colour is undoubtably due to your change in diet.  So don't worry about your stool - but DO worry about your diet.  Please be aware that very low carbohydrate (and high protein?) diets are very unhealthy and will result in loss of energy (your body NEEDS carbohydrate for normal function) and can actually cause damage.  High protein diets can result in kidney stones and kidney damage.  Unless medically supervised you should try to stick to a healthy (plenty of variety, low fat, lots of unprocessed or minimally processed foods - follow the food pyramid recommendations) - if you want to lose weight refer to a program such as weight watchers - which offers sensible, healthy and easy to follow plans.  Don't ruin your life by an unhealthy diet - it can result in more problems that you could imagine.  

By the way, if I am off the mark in my comments (not relevant to you) - please ignore.

Take Care

Sally