Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Green stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Green stool

I am 25 and for the past year or so I have suffered with symptoms that I think are due to IBS.  It's not extremely serious as I've heard some have it.  I normally have a b.m. 3 or for times per day with some stomach cramping and discomfort.  Perhaps the worst part about it is the panic feeling when I'm not near a restroom or in a strange place with people I don't know.  Anyway, on to the question.  I apologize for the graphic nature in advance, but I'm sure it's nothing strange on this forum.  Two days ago, I noticed that my stool was a moldy-green color.  I don't know how else to describe it.  It kind-of freaked me out a little.  Today, I noticed the same thing.  It's almost like there's a moldy green coating on it.  Could there be an explanation for this other than a medical condition?  I'm hoping that it just has something to do with some supplements that I started taking very recently.  For one, I have taken a vitamin supplement pack that includes Beta-Carotene, Zinc, Vitamin E, B Complex, and C.  Also, I have been taking an Acidophilus supplement regularly for awhile.  And in the past week, I have taken something called Equalactin several times.  It's supposed to relieve IBS syptoms (symptoms).  The active ingredient is 625 mg of Calcium Polycarbophil.  It also contains Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dextrose, and Crospovidone.  Could any of this stuff...or a mixture of any of it cause green colored stool?  I'm not extremely worried, because there are no other weird symptoms going on, but it is really strange to me.  There's never been any noticeable blood or mucus, just this green color.  

Also, how worried should I be that what I think is IBS is something more serious?  I have never been tested for Chron's or anything like that, because there just doesn't seem to be the need to.  My mother has IBS and my symptoms are textbook.  Should I worry about anything else?  I can usually control symptoms with Immodium and just eating right and relaxing.  Could it be anything but IBS?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on either one of these related subjects.  I don't want to worry, but I'm just that kind of person.  Thank you so much.
  • Green Stool (1 replies):
    It just started today I had stomach pain and went to the...[more]
  • Green Stool (6 replies):
    Hi, this morning I found green stool, not bright green. ...[more]
  • Green stool (3 replies):
    I have seen a grass-colored green stool which began yest...[more]
  • Green Bowels (2 replies):
    The past 2 days I have been having normal and loose gree...[more]
  • Green Stool? (4 replies):
    Does anyone know what would cause green stool? I have ha...[more]
Here are the most common causes of green stools.  They include:
- large amounts of green, leafy vegetables
- green or purple artificial coloring (popsicles, Kool-Aid, gelatin)
- iron supplements
- rapid transit or decreased colonic transit time.

Now with the variable colonic transit time, this may be attributed to IBS.  If the symptoms are mild, I wouldn't be too worried about it.  If the symptoms worsen or bother you, you may want to inquire about an endoscopy to make sure that there isn't anything other problem more serious than IBS.  

If the diagnosis is indeed IBS, you may want to be referred to a gastroenterologist to optimize the management.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I had the same problem today.

After reading all about it everywhere though I think I might be able to tell where my moldy green stool came from -

I have eaten at Moes Southwest grill like 6 times in 3 days.  
Their chips are purple.  Add to that I've been eating a lot of beans.  I am curious if this might be an explanation?

Kind of funny... I found this page doing a search for the same subject 'green stool'.  I was curious and a bit worried.. I ate for the first time at Moe's Southwest Grill yesterday and ate a lot of chips, guacamole and cilantro (even their green sauce).  One of them most likely is the culprit too.  

Maybe Moes should put a warning sign up... (I am joking about that part of course, but not the fact I went to moes and had green stool the next day)
Interestingly enough, i found this site for the same reasons cited above and also ate at moe's southwestern grill for the first time yesterday.  All i ate was a burrito, maybe it's the guacamole.. :P
I am so glad that there are others who have experienced the same thing....I first noticed this back in Nov...and was worried about the green stool....I thought about my diet and I can guarantee that if I eat at Moes I will have a green stool the next day....(dont mean to gross anyone out but the black beans are the giveaway that it was the Moes meal)....I am hooked on the Billy Barou....but I am wondering if it is the cilantro (not much) or its the colored chips...
During a new workout routine in an effort to decrease dehydration, I have been regularly consuming a powder-based gatorade with a deep purple color, needless to say i have also been experiencing a dark green stool since my regular high volume consumption of this purple gatorade.  I am going to email Gatorade to make sure this doesnt cause any damage.
A related discussion, Green Stool was started.
A related discussion, Green stool was started.
A related discussion, stool was started.
Interesting. I found this while searching about green stool and I think I found my answer. I've been drinking a lot of sugar free grape kool aid.
A related discussion, Bowel problems was started.