Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
HELP..CAN'T LIVE W/ THIS GERD AND LUMP IN THROAT ANYMORE..

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Please help me...I am a 29 yr female had a brief problem w/ gerd 4 1/2 yrs ago w/ the feeling of my food sitting in my chest had a scope had mild inflammation normal biopsies took prilosec for 8 weeks and was fine until 4 months ago..I was fiagnosed w/ asthma and at the time was given prednisone and advair..I started to get heartburn and indigestion so I stiopped taking the meds..then in November I was put on bioxin and had a very bad reaction w/ throat constriction and lump in throat and feeling my food sitting in my throat..went to Gi she put me on previcid and then nexium felt good until late january had a bout of vomiting for 2 days vomiting food that I ate the day before.. then I have no more heartburn but constant throat constriction and lump in throat and feeling like my food either goes down slow(bread, soft pretzels) or goes down and then comes back up on me and sits in my throat..I still burp constantly. food comes up when I burp still..I had a double constrast barium swallow that showed reflux no obstruction and am getting scoped next week..I feel like I am dying..I drastically changed my diet but don't know what else I can do....could this be cancer..??no weight loss, haven't changed my diet even though tcertain things feel like they stick but I never have to cough or make myself vomit..
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Please understand my limitations over the internet as I have neither met nor examined you. This information is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation.

What you are describing is known as globus sensation.  This is defined as:
1) The persistent or intermittent sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat.
2) Occurrence of the sensation between meals.
3) Absence of dysphagia and odynophagia.

Several disorders are associated with this condition, including abnormal esophageal body or lower esophageal sphincter motility, achalasia, tongue cancer, enlarged cervical lymph nodes, GERD, goiter, hiatal hernia, hypertensive upper esophageal sphincter, or esophageal masses.

There are several tests that are suggested.  You already had a barium swallow.  Endoscopy is the next step.  Additional work-up may include videofluoroscopic or manometric assessment of esophageal function.  Ambulatory pH monitoring may be helpful if reflux is suspected.  Specific testing for occult thyroid enlargement can also be considered.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
Robson.  Globus sensation.  UptoDate, 2002.
Your peace of mind will certainly benefit from getting scoped.  Speaking only as someone who suffered from this for several years, I learned the following that may be of comfort. The sensation of something in your throat is called "globus." At the age of 29, with nothing visible on the barium swallow, and absent any other what are called "GI alarm symptoms"  - bleeding, weight loss, anemia, vomiting, (swallowing difficulty  - dysphagia, is one alarm symptom) the statistical likelihood of cancer is pretty small. I would absolutely get the EGD and then be completely confident that this is not a serious problem.

Have you tried all the "home remedies" for GERD? Sleeping wedge, avoiding caffeine, smoking, alcohol and anything anticholenergic like antihistamines, smaller more frequent meals but nothing for several hours before bed, etc.?

Best wishes,
thanks for your comments i really appreciate them...I am tired of living w/ this..did you have similar symptoms? I totally changed my diet  I cut out coffee, soda, fried food, spices, and I am sleeping w/ 3 pillows..I don't know what else to do..
I had the same problems three years ago and had a nissan fundoplication done and don't regret it. Except for a few problems (nothing to do with nissan) I am free from the gerd. Medicine did work for short time, then returned. I would do it all over again. Don't have to sleep upright anymore--it's worth ever thing I've been through. Ask your gastro doctor about the nissan.
thanks for your comments..did you also have problems swallowing foods? lump in throat all the time..my meds were working great and then suddenly stopped..my doc increased nexium 2x a day and added reglan but nothing is working..I had heard if you have problems swallowing before the surgery you won't be able to swallow afterwards..is that true?
I was taking two previcid and reglan and nothing helped. I got severe headaches while on the reglan and had to stop. I had no reflux valve left, but I had to have a motility test done first before they did my nissan. If you can't move the food down into your stomach, I don't think they'll do the surgery. I did not having problems getting food down, just food continually coming up. The acid ate the enamel off my teeth and I had a constant sore throat. Find a good gastro doctor and surgeon. Do research on the nissan fundoplication--it worked for me. I was put on a very strict diet, because there are foods that are hard to go down--like bread because of the yeast, it swells and can get caught. I could have no meat for awhile--just soft food. Now I did have problems during the surgery that have required me to have 11 more surgeries--my spleen ruptured, got a staph infection that caused my gastro tract to rupture, then an enterrococcus infection and severe pneumonia. My surgeon did the same procedure on a man after me and he went home the next day. There can be complication from the surgery, but all surgeries can have them. Talk to your doctor, because if the meds aren't working, why continue taking them. There is another med. you can ask him to try--Carafate. Best wishes to you. I'll keep checking in to see if you need more answers. Even after all the complications, I would do it all over again, because I have no reflux disease anymore.
I know exactly what you are going through.  I'm a 24yr. old mother and have had problems with this for several years now.  I recently have had the same problem of feeling like there's a lump in throat accompained by severe heartburn, a acid taste in my mouth with heartburn, nasseau, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.  I recently had an endoscopy and have esophagus stricture (this is the 3rd stricture I've had) in which my doctor stretched by esophagus, I have severe esophagitis, and esophagus erosion.  Medicine isn't working for me either. I've been on nexium and previcid both and neither seemed to help.  I can't eat anything without getting heartburn.  I've started to eat Jello thinging that would help by heartburn and it doesn't.  I have had heartburn all day today and nothing seems to help.  So I didn't eat anything else today because I was afraid it would make the problem worse.   If anyone can provide me with any helpful information to help my symptoms I would greatly appreciate it.
I am going in for my endoscope today...I have the same symptoms as you and my nexium is not working either..I take 2 a day and my docotr added reglan also..I will post back and let you know how I make out..thanks
I had my endoscopy today and the doctor said everything was normal..I can't believe everything is normal when I have constant reflux, food sticking and lump in throat..is it normal to take biopsies even if everything is normal?
I had this problem a few years ago and thought I was going to die. I could not swallow anything without it getting stuck in my throat. After having two upper endoscopys done they said I had a hiatal hernia and put me on prevacid. The prevacid did nothing for me. I still take the prevacid but the doctor also put me on paxil and 2 days later the lump in my throat was gone and I have never had a problem since! And that was in 1997. The paxil made me commer and in turn helped the acid in my stomach from coming up into my throat. I didn't even know I wasn't comm.
I agree with a posted message several messages ago who suggests trying Carafate. Carafate was my God of medicines. I wouldn't go anywhere without it. My problems have now progressed passed the help of Carafate, but for 8 years it was my best friend. You should ask for liquid carafate. It is alot easier to get down.
Has anybody taken a PPI such as prilosec or nexium for a long length of time?  I have been taking them since 1997 (6 years) for GERD and feel it cannot be good for overall health to stay on them for so long.  The last blood tests showed mild liver ALT/AST increases 66/60 and wondering if the Nexium could be the reason for that?  Any other ideas as to the best OTC or another type of prescription med. that would be better to help the burn etc.??  From the Nexium insert regarding side effects etc. it appears it can actually cause Barrett's Esophagus among other types of polyps, tumors etc. which does not make sense.  Seems like it would help prevent that.  My Endoscopy does show stomach polyps that were benign.  Any help out there on other better safer meds for GERD would be most helpful.    
Jeani
This is a very long posting, but these following "tips" are well worth checking into! These tips are found in my website, whose home page is, http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

Please check with your doctor, first, before trying these tips to be sure they are safe, in your particular situation. And, ask child's doctor & pharmacist about adjusting dosages down (tiny fraction of adult dosage), for children.

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems (at least): VCD/Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Laryngospasm attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, much extra throat mucus, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, laryngitis, voice problems, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page, in this VCD website.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray