Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
HIDA 17%, should I have gall bladder removed?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIDA 17%, should I have gall bladder removed?

I am a 60 year old male, not overweight, and am about to have my gall bladder removed, perhaps this week.  No fever, no weight loss or gain.  I started having stomach aches (queazy, nausea) last October 2006.  I would be sick for days, then better for days.  The nausea occurred both during day and/or night.  Sometimes eating helped, sometimes not.  No vomiting, no yellowing in eyes, no RUQ pain.  Saw GP and he ordered blood work and ultrasound.  Blood work was normal, ultrasound normal except that common bile duct measured 5.9mm which is the upper limits for someone my age.  No stones were seen.  Saw GI doc.  He ordered HIDA scan with CCK and endoscopy.  HIDA scan came back with ejection fraction of 17.6%.  HIDA scan report suggested possible chronic cholecystitis.  Endoscopy showed that I had a mild hiatal hernia and moderate, nonspecific, chronic gastritis.  Biopsy for H Pylori was negative.  In past month since these tests were performed, I have had less nausea but more pain in the pit of my stomach, sometimes intense and drilling through to my back under the LEFT shoulder blade.  Typically this happens at night but does occur in the daytime but less often.  I have had minor on and off again pains in the RUQ in the past month as well.  My GI doc thinks the gall bladder should be removed.  He said that symptoms aren't always classical (significant RUQ pain, etc.) and that my HIDA scan indicates my gall bladder is barely working.  I should also note that for years now I have frequent morning bowel movements, between 2 and 4.  No blood in stools.  Oh, I have been taking Protonix, 40mg, on and off.  I don't think it really helps but I am back on it again.  Should I go ahead and have the gall bladder removed?