Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
HIDA Scan Results

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

HIDA Scan Results

For about the last 4 years I have had intermittent upper right  quadrant pain. Most of the time it is not bad and at there are many periods it doesn't even bother me.  When it does, it can best be described as a dull pain, with some sharp pains from time to time.  In 2002 I went for an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder -- negative for gallstones.  All blood work has been normal except for slightly elevated bilirubin that has shown up each time I get blood work on my annual physical.  

I went for a HIDA scan w/ CCK this morning and now 3 hours later just received a call back from my general MD saying my ejection fraction for my gallbladder was 0%.  (Yes, 0%)  He said the report shows that there were no blockages and the gallbladder was filled with bile as it should, but that it did empty at all from the CCK administration.  I did not eat or drink past 12am last night, so I don't see that the test result could be flawed.

He is going to refer me to a gastro, but I'm wondering what the heck!  What should I expect from, and what might this be caused from, and of course any additional input!

Thank You,
Gary
A gallbladder ejection fraction of zero percent may explain the symptoms you are experiencing.  There are some studies that suggest removing the gallbladder can help with the symptoms.  

A referral to a surgeon should be considered for gallbladder removal.  

If this is not the case, an upper endoscopy can be considered to evaluate the upper GI system.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I to had a zero output on my nuclear medicine test after lying there for 3hrs.  I have been searching the net for information on whatever this condition is called.  Everything I find has two different gallbladder diseases but none that sound like mine.  My surgeon told me my gallbladder is none functioning but I had no signs of gallstones.  You're comment is the only info I have found that was similar. What else have you found out?  My surgery is scheduled July 12.  Please share with me what you know.
I am a 26 yr old male.  I have been going through some health issues the last 6 months and have recenlty had a Hida Scan which showed and injection rate at 28%.  I have had all the test ran you could think of to look for any other abnormalites in my body.  Abdominal ultrasound (normal).  endoscopy & colonoscopy (small hiatial hernia) which is what was causing my chest pain.  Ct scan with contrast. Ct scan without contrast.  All normal exept on the dry scan, they found 2 very small kidney stones inside the kidney.   No tumors, no swollen lyphnodes, or swollen organs, it reads that all organs are unremarkable.  I have had this aching back pain in the spine area  that feels if though something is squeezing my back.  I had my Gallbladder removed yesterday, and my back pain is still there but is not as persistant.  The surgeon seems to think that my GB is my problem and all my symptoms will clear up in a short time.  Should I have anything else to worry about, even with all these test I have had ran.  Any comment would be great.
I didn't find out anything other really... All specialists seemed to confirm the fact I should have my GB removed.  

My surgery is scheduled for today!!
Does anyone know the meaning of an injection fraction of 99%?

Thanks!
How did your surgery turn out?
HELLO I HAD A CCK HIDA SCAN AND I CALLED FOR MY RESULTS TODAY AND ALL THE NURSE TOLD ME WAS WHEN THE INJECTION WENT IN MY GALLBLADDER WAS NOT PUMPING( WELL UNRESPONSIVE)TO THE CHEMICL WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IM SO SCARED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK IS IT CANCER? I NEVER HAVE ANY PAIN .DO VOMIT BUT ONLY IF I GET UP EARLY TO GO SOMEWHERE OR WHEN IM NERVOUS.  I NEED SOME KIND OF GOOD NEEDS HELP