Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
HIGH ammonia level and 'normal' liver function panels???
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIGH ammonia level and 'normal' liver function panels???

In one week my ammonia level has gone from 68 to 93. Only numbers off on liver function on 10/29 were ALT @ 61 (5 high). ALT on 10/21 test was 53.
I've read all I can find on this but nowhere have I found anything mentioning high ammonia levels and "normal" liver functions. I'm having many symptoms associated with high ammonia. Last 2 months I've had a major problem with abdomen distentia. Abdomen and pelvis CT was performed on 10/30...only result so far is that liver is "slightly" enlarged and there are fatty deposits on the liver.
Before I forget, I also suffer from PKD (polycystic kidney disease). There were no cysts on the liver. Kidney function at this point is approx. 50%.
Any leads, ideas, sources, or anything for me on this? I currently have my internist, urologist, and nephrologist working together. I figure the more the merrier, so if there's any info out there, please pass it on to me.
If it maters, I'm a 46 year old white male.
Any help...THANX!!!!!!!!!!