Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hard time burping

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hard time burping

I wanted to know if anyone knows what's causing me to have a hard time burping?  I always feel as if I need to burp but when it's time to do so, I cannot.  I always have to force myself to burp.  Recenlty, I have also had the feeling as if something is stuck in my throat which makes burping even harder.

This is a scary feeling!  Please give feedback.  I would really apreciate it.

bzgirl
1 Comment
There are many reasons for feeling the urge to burp but being unable to. Acid reflux can make you feel like you need to burp
and not everybody gets heart burn from acid reflux. esophogus problems can also do it, do you have a hard time swallowing? Hiatel hernia, Anxiety/stress can make you feel like you have a lump in your throat which may be coming from your worry about burping. I get theses same feelings and have gerd (acid reflux)
Now not to make you nervous or worried but you should maybe see your doctor, I have read and heard of people with blocked heart arteries having the same feelings but its uncommon so I got myself checked out. But Im also 37 and you never stated your age.
There are just so many reason you should get checked out anyway.
My bet would be on acid reflux, it irritates the esophogus and it
makes it feel like you need to burp but nothing comes up or very little. Good luck and the heart thing was just a side note and not meant to make you worry more so please don't worry about that unless you feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest also and you have your left or right side go numb or tingly often after some form of exertion or exercise.
I always felt like i had a lump in my throat and would swallow and swallow but it just wouldn't go away. An ultra sound showed an enlarged thyroid gland with noduals.
But blood test show my thyroid is still functioning normal.