Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hemangioma in Spleen

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hemangioma in Spleen

I'm a 48-year-old Caucasian male, diagnosed last week with a hemangioma in my spleen, based on ultrasound and CT scan images.  At present, the hemangioma involves about one-third of my spleen.  It is a circular shape with regular edges and appears to be entirely within the core of the spleen, not touching the organ walls.  I have no symptoms or pain.  The doctor who offered the diagnosis is a urologist I was seeing for an occurrence of hematuria.  The hemangioma was found during testing for the hematuria.  He is advising a wait-and-see approach with a followup CT scan in six months.  Then, if the hemangioma appears to be growing, he'll want to remove my spleen.

I'm attempting to rapidly educate myself about my spleen, this condition, and treatment options.  Based on the information presented on the Vascular Birthmarks website, I'm thinking that this "hemangioma" may actually be an arteriovenous malformation.  I've been advised that an MRI would provide more detailed information about the lesion.

* Is this malformation an unusual condition?
* Is it likely to keep growing and compromise my health?
* Will it grow quickly or slowly?
* What are the treatment options?
* Do you know of successful alternative therapies, such as nutrition changes, hypnosis, acupuncture, visualization, etc., that have been or could be effective in reducing the growth of this object and help me avoid surgery?

I live in Oregon, not far from Portland.  The Oregon Health Sciences University is our premiere medical institution.  Can you recommend any physicians at OHSU who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of internal vascular lesions?  

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can provide.

Dear JTS,
hemangiomas of the spleen are beyond the area of expertise of thiss Forum.  Hemangiomas are common abnormalities of the abdominal organs.  They are usually incidental findings during the investigation of other problems.  Although most angiomas do not cause problems some can grow rapidly and cause pain and/or bleeding.  I am unaware of any alternative medical therapies to shrink your hemangioma.  

An interval examination of the spleen to detect changes in size is a good idea.  Also, I agree that visiting the Oregon Health Science Center is a good idea.  You may ask your doctor to arrange this evaluation.  Because symptomaticc hemangiomas are usually treated surgically, an evaluation with a surgeon would be indicated.
Dear J.T.S.: Are you active, play sports, work out?

In general the spleen is well protected but is more at risk than adjacent organs to trauma. Some caution can be noted when involved with contact sports, x-treme sports, etc.

REMEMBER:

1.Many have them but few know it.

2.Watch and see, good idea.

3.You will do fine without a spleen, when and if it is
      removed. Your Red Bone Marrow will do the work of the
      spleen.

4.There are drawings depicting ancient Greeks having
      their spleens destroyed with a heated steel rod. The
      spleens destruction would allow the Red Blood Cells to
      circulate longer, perhaps an early attempt at "Cell
      Packing", which is practiced today..What about the
      Kidney???
J.T.S.:  A non surgical technique to eliminate the Hemangioma:

Particles are placed withing those arteries feeding
         the hemangioma, disrupting the supply of blood to the
         hemangioma. Some years back they used Jell-Foam.

I's like an angiogram. wcm..
JTS
My sister has just been diagnosed with "extensive intra abdominal hemangioma" which has affected a number of her abdominal organs including her liver, pancreas, spleen, kidneys and bladder. Although she is not suffering any gross ill effects at present we are interested to find out what to expect in the future. It is very difficult to get any information from the doctors as such extensive proliferation of hemangioma intra abdominally is quite rare and most of the literature on the condition relates to "birthmark" like presentations.

Im sorry I cant help you with your questions but I would be extremely grateful if you come across any information that you think could be relevant to us please let us know.

Cheers