Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hemmroids/Tailbone

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hemmroids/Tailbone

I am a fit male in my 30s.  A few years ago I had a bit of constipation that lingered and resolved with fiber and exercise.  My doc said it was a bit of IBS.  Since then I have not had major issues related to constipation, fairly regular.  I do have some external hemmroids that flare up from time to time.  I want to a GI doc as after my constipation episode I wanted to get checked out because I noticed my stools were always a bit flat and wanted to make sure I was doing all I could to minimize hemmroid flare ups.  He felt i had no alarm symptoms and wasn't overally concerned about the flat stools but advised if i wanted to do a colonscopy to confirm for sure, he would support that.  He did an anoscope and saw some internal hemmroids which he described as everyone having and no external hemmroids present as I was not having a flare up at the time.  He advised to come back when i had a flare up and he would see if he could treat it.  Separate to all of this, over the last few years I have had some minor tailbone discomfort that got a little more noticable the last six months so I went to see a chiropractor, who took xrays and said my tailbone was fairly inverted, pointing inward.  I don't recall falling on it, I may have been born that way he said and only now as i have gotten older, sit a lot in the office, has it even become an issue.  He referred me to a Physical Therapist that specializes in the tailbone and internal adjustment of the tailbone.

Before I do all that ... I wanted to get your opinion, but even more specifically ... could the inverted tailbone push on my rectum to affect my stool shape?  It just seems odd that I have an inverted tailbone and flatish stools, could the two be related?  

Thanks in advance.
Inverted tailbones are not a common reason for changed shape of stool.  It's reassuring that your own doctor and the gastroenterologist think this is ok.  As to the benefit of getting a colonoscopy, your gastroenterologist can advise you as to the risks and benefits to look into why your stool shape has changed.  The biggest concern would be if a tumor in the colon was changing the shape, but this does not often lead to flattening, it is more concerning if it bleeds and shows bright red in your stool

Enoch Choi, MD
Went to doctor, got a series of xrays, no issues with spine, pelvis, tailbone, all normal.  No issues.  thanks.
I am still interested in your overall opinion. thanks