Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hepatic hemangioma

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hepatic hemangioma

I have recently been diagnosed with a hepatic hemangioma measuring 11cm x 11cm.  I have been told that it is inoperable as it is in the centre of my liver and surrounds the vena cava.  It is becoming symptomatic, rib, upper back and shoulder tip pain which varies from mild to severe intermittently, plus some epigastric pain.  Has anyone got similar condition, is there any medical rather than surgical treatment anyone is aware of.

Also conflicting advice re HRT, can I take it if I need it at a later date, some doctors say this is oestrogen dependent others say not!!
Hi i have been where you are.  You can e-mail me @ ***@****
I have recently been diagnosed with a hepatic hemangioma, also.  Am trying to decide whether to have surgery or not.  My OBGYN as well as a liver surgeon advised to stay away from estrogens.  Also, could you describe your shoulder and rib pain.  I am having some both places, but it feels more like muscle pain.  Would be interested if you find any non-surgical help.  Good luck.  Lenfry
My shoulder and rib pain varies from what feels like muscular pain, yes but also some of the rib pain feels almost like a trapped nerve and is sudden and sharp.  What have your docs told you about surgery?  How large is your hemangioma?  Good luck
Thanks for your reply.  My hemangioma is 10x13 cm. according to one radiologist and 10x16 according to another.  It covers most of the right lobe and to this point has not caused any significant problems that we can tell.  I am having swelling in lower legs and feet, with the left being worse.  Since my heart workup was negative, one dr. says the liver may be the cause.    Have seen 3 liver surgeons and all say basically it is up to me as to whether to do the surgery or not. One says that most people who have hemangiomas this large have them removed if they are operable. Could wait and watch to see if it changes or have any more problems.  Surgery would mean a right lobectomy.  It is a long surgery with a few fairly serious risks, bleeding, clots, bile leakage, for example. Have you talked with anyone who has had the surgery?  If so, how did it go for them?
I have not spoken to anyone who has had specifically hemangioma surgery, but I have spoken to some who have had different types of tumours removed, all who say it is a difficult surgery.  Mine is inoperable due to its position, however I am pursuing the possibility of embolisation at the moment, have appointment tomorrow in London, will let you know.
A related discussion, Surgery Experience? was started.
A related discussion, how big is a 12mm hemangioma? was started.