Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hernia or IBS

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hernia or IBS
I tried posting this before...here goes again. Does anyone know if a hernia can mimik some of the symptoms of IBS? I was diagnosed with a double hernia like 5-6 years ago and have recurrent lower right ab pain since. In the last 6 months or so I have has more gas and looser BMs with dull pain after..which subsides. Had a colonoscopy 4 days ago and the doctor said all was well and suggested a high fiber diet. I am 40 years old, male and other wise healthy.
You may need to get the ol' scope down the throat. It can be anything from plain uncomfortable to downright excrutiating(similar to alien experiments) you may need to ask for seditives before the procedure. It may determine your problem, as it takes a sample of the small intestine as well. A general FACT is that if a stomache produces too much acid, it will make your food digest quickly and like battery acid, will disolve your food to liquid in a hurry, which in turn, runs through the system. Good Luck
Good question... sorry I don't have an answer. But I do have to disagree with the suggestion that you get an upper endoscopy. Your symptoms don't seem like they'd be related to anything going on in the upper GI tract, so it probably is either the hernias or a little IBS.