Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hernia part of PVC Symptoms

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hernia part of PVC Symptoms

I was recently diagnosed with pvc's, which I started feeling about 5 months ago.  I have a hiatal hernia, but was told after an endoscopy, that the hernia wasn't causing the problems I was experiencing:  Pounding in chest, usually about an hour after eating, feeling of pulsing coming from about 1 inch above belly button, center of lower chest, into the middle of my chest and then up in the neck area.  It is always worse with a full stomach, either from eating or drinking large amount of water.  Could my hernia be contributing to the problem?  I was hoping the doc would prescribe propulsid, since it worked about two years ago when I had almost the same symtoms (symptoms), which incidently, went away after taking propulsid for about a month.  Now the wierd sensations in the chest and upper stomach area are here again, and this time pvc's are the culprit.  Any connection you can see?  I am over the initial fear about the pvc's, which showed up both on ekg's and heart holter, but just wonder what the connection with eating or drinking is.  Can a hiatal hernia shrink?  Two years ago, Mayo docs told me that the hernia was quite large and may need surgery.  When I had the endoscopy about two months ago, I was told the hernia was lower than the records from Mayo's showed and that it was not big at all????  Thanks for the answers to these questions - your forum pages are a God send to those of us with questions.
  Sherry
_____________________
Dear Sherry:
A hiatal hernia can vary in size depending on the intra-abdominal pressure.  The hernia, stomach that has prolapsed into the chest, can return to the abdominal cavity.  Anything increasing intra-abdominal pressure (e.g. straining at defecation or when lifting a heavy load ) can push the stomach upward to slide through the diaphragm resulting in a larger hiatal hernia.  
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) can be due to underlying heart disease.  There is no recognized  relationship between the hiatal hernia and  PVCs.  We have seen patients who have had acid reflux into the esophagus causing PVCs .  Although the lay population often equates a hiatal hernia with reflux, many people can have hernias without reflux and conversely reflux can occur in the absence of a herrnia.
Finally, many patients are unable to tell the difference between chest pain/discomfort from the esophagus and that from the heart.  Although you have PVC that cause symptoms related to the premature beats, the PVC may not be responsible for the chest pain,
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: hiatal hernia, PVC
0.3