Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hernia???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hernia???

About a month ago, I noticed an abdominal mass/lump beside the belly button.  It moves when I change sitting and standing positions and disappear when I lie down.  My family doctor thinks it's part of my bowel and schedules me for an abdominal ultrasound next month.  While taking to a friend, she said it may be a hernia.  My family doctor never mentions this to me and said that if the ultrasound shows nothing, I don't need to worry about it or do anything.  

My questions are: do my symptoms fit those of hernia? Can ultrasound detect hernia? If it is hernia, do I need to do something about it (I have no pain)?

I want to get prepared so I know what to ask my family doctor once I get the ultrasound report.  My family doctor normally does not give detailed information unless I ask specific questions.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi azure, I have become an expert at hernias, but always talk to your doctor first. My sympthoms were pain about 20 minutes after eating. Some of my nine hernias could be felt by the surgeon, but not all of them. I had CT scan with contrast and they showed up. I tried massaging the area of the bulge, but it didn't help. Depending on your weight, some doctors don't like to do the surgery, unless you are having incarceration of the bowels, then it's an emergency operation. Believe me you will know when this happens. Your food will not pass through and it can cause your gastro-tract to rupture. You should seek care soon to determine the cause of the bulge and the pain. I have had five hernia surgeries and the last one in December, only one hernia showed up in the scan, but he felt around while he had me open and found four more. I'm having the same pain again and there is a possibility that I have herniated at the base of the mesh. If you do have a hernia, ask them to mesh it, because depending on your age and weight, the repair won't hold without the mesh. My abdomenal (abdominal) wall is week from a staph infection and I think that is my problem, but the doctors won't admitt that because they could be held liable. Good luck and let me know how things go.
Hello, thanks for the information.  Why would the weight be an issue when considering hernia surgery?  I am skinny and a bit underweight.  If the ultrasound cannot show the hernia, how do I get an accurate diagnosis?  I read that many people choose to have surgery to repair hernia before it goes too bad because like you said, it will then be an emergency operation and the doctor may need to cut part of the intestine.  In addition, it seems that hernia won't go away on its own, it just gets worse slowly.
Hi, You really should see your doctor, an internist should be able to tell if you have a hernia. Overweight people have a hard time, because when you have a hernia, fatty tissue gets sucked into the hole and it's difficult to repair--just try pushing too much stuffing into a doll, it'll pull the threads and eventually tear. I have a friend who has one and is very overweight and her doctor won't repair it unless she loses some of the weight. She isn't hurting, so she doesn't care. I also and small, but I believe my hernias are a result of the staph infection. Are you having any burning sensations or hurting more after you eat. Sometimes a CT does not show a hernia, but the doctors can usually feel them---I'm only talking from experience (9)Also an ultra-sound may show a hole. I hope you do seek medical attention, because my intestines just blocked (actual term was they fell asleep)and I had to have an NG tube put in for six days NOT FUN!!!! No food for a week and then on liquid diet for a week, then soft food. Best Wishes. Pat
Hello, I did see my family doctor who does not seem to be concerned.  She did not say I have hernia, she just said it's part of my bowel that I felt. My ultrasound appointment is still more than 2 weeks away. I hope if it is hernia, it will be picked up by the ultrasound.  I can't go to see a specialist unless my family doctor thinks it's necessary and refers me to. I don't feel pain at all (not before or after eating).  

I am sorry to hear what you have gone through.  My dad had hernia a few years ago and had a small surgery.  He only stayed in the hospital for 1 or 2 days. He could eat and walk around the day after the surgery.