Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hiatal Hernia, GERD, and Chronic Abdominal Distention

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 29 yr old male, 5'11, 190 lbs... very athletic.  I do not smoke.

In 1999, I had an EGD scope as the result of some reflux symptoms.  The doctor discovered a hiatal hernia and "reflux esophagitis".  He suggested surgery to me at that time, but I felt that was too agressive and opted to take 20mg Prilosec for awhile to see what it does.  All of my GERD-related symptoms have disappeared since that time.  However, I have a new symptom (started about 4 months ago) and it WILL NOT GO AWAY!

I have chronic swelling/distention in my abdomen.  It is the worse in the morning, but tends to last all day.  I look and feel like I am pregnant.  I am able to pass gas and have normal bowel movements.  I feel no pain, just constant pressure from inside my stomach.  My liver enzymes, etc. were tested to ensure that this was not an organ issue.  All tests were negative.

What is going on with me?  My stomach will not return to normal size... it is so frustrating!  I have tried everything it seems!

Quesions:

1) Could the hiatal hernia be causing all this distention

2) Could this be a dangerous situation?  ie. is abdominal distention with no pain or other symptoms indicative of any serious conditions?

3) What can I do to fix this?

THANK YOU!!

for those with GERD i forgot to mention a thing called "CENTARIUM" my local health shop says theyv had very good feedback from its use....theres a uk site that has a write up on it aswell as many other natural goodies www.bioforce.co.uk ...i dare say that there are many others. no worry from having a curry<G>..another natural thing for gerd is asparagus...good results from that also,but having it every day is not my idea of living.
A related discussion, hiatal hernia was started.