Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hiatal Hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hiatal Hernia

My mother and boyfriend both have hiatal hernias and GERD-acid reflux.  My boyfriend was told his hiatal hernia was caused from overeating or going to bed on a full stomach.  I would like to know if this is true because none of the websites I have found say that that is one of the causes.
Hi there!  I was just diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia myself and I believe that what your boyfriend was told is true, I feel much better if I do not eat before going to bed.  I also do not have any reflux if I stop eating about 2 hours before bedtime.  I also need to lose some weight and I think that just helps us all!  I do not know if your boyfriend has found any relief from medication, but prevacid helps me!
I have a suspected hiatas hernia and when I think back I used to have a few beers then eat late alot so maybe this is true. As already said this causes acid reflux, I take zantac which is quite good but has a few side effects as they all do.
I dont think that the reflux is caused by anything they may have done ie overeating or going to bed on a full stomache....I asked these questions too as I had both reflux and a hiatal hernia...my surgeon said I was probably born with reflux but I cannot recall what he said about the hernia...so I guess this could be something we bring on ourselves....
Most people who have GERD were born with it. The Nissan wrap operation that people have wraps the junction of your esophagus with either your stomach or webbing to make it stronger,which will prevent the stomach acid from getting into your esophgaus. Eating and then lying down will cause you to have reflux (if you have the problem described above) as will being overweight. People with GERD are told to elevate the head of their bed to prevent the acid from getting up into their esophgaus.Both of these things cause acid reflux,but not the weakness in the sphincter muscle. You should see a good G.I. doctor and get checked out. Acid getting into your esophgaus can cause severe complications
i'm a 62 yr.old ranny .i too have had gurd (gerd), went to dr. he opened up the esophagus,said it had closed up, put me on previcid 2 a day, this help the gerd  but i still have this deep burning in my stomach ,not like heartburn but a true burning sensation ,and it feels like my skin is going to pull apart  from the pain , i know i have a hiatal hernia but shouldn't the med. help this ,does any one have any suggestions. thanks
Sir I suffer with a hiatas hernia,the x rays taken at my local hospital show that a very large portion of my stomach is in the chest cavity.I get very little respite I suffer day and night with reflux and heart burn I am on medication but it does not help me.I am 82 years old is it safe at this age to complicate surgery .Looking forward to your advise.
I suffer from a large hiatas hernia,I am 82 years old can any one advise me if I am too old for surgery.
                            ***@****