Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hiatal Hernia and pain in left shoulder/arm...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have a Hiatal Hernia.  I am burping almost constantly and had pain/preassure right were my ribs come together.  I am scheduled to see a Gastrologist, but of course that takes about 2 months to get an appointment.  Meantime,  every once in a while I get some pain in my chest, about 1 - 1.5 inches up from where my ribs come together.  I notice that if I burp or move some, it goes away.  Here are my questions:

1.  Is this pain most likely due to the Hiatal Hernia and a gas buildup?
2.  I notice when I feel really bad and burp alot, I sometimes get pain in my left shoulder and down into my left arm/hand.  I have had several blood works done and two EKG's with all of them normal, so it's probably NOT my heart.  Can this symptom be caused by the Hernia?
3.  I get what feels like beating of my heart right where my ribs come together.  This is especially noticable when I lay down, or if I am already laying down and roll over onto my back from my side.  It seems like I can also feel it some times while standing.  Is this also a symptom of the Hernia?
4.  When some of this happens, I also get what seems like shakes..  Where I feel really really bad, feel slightly light headed.  I am assuming this is also a symptom of the hernia.
5.  I have constant pain in my left hand.  Mostly it's in either the little or ring finger.  Is this going to be permenant?  I worry that I am going to slowly loosing the ability to use my left hand.  I am left handed and I also ride a motorcycle.  Can someone tell me if this tends to go away if I ever get the hernia issue resolved.  Thanks
Bill
These are not symptoms of the hernia, these are symptoms of anxiety from worrying about the hernia.  I have the exact same problems.  Pain and discomfort from gas can sometimes be felt up into the shoulder and into the arm.  The gas, lightheadedness and shakes are almost certainly anxiety.  If it gets really ad, talk to your doctor about an anti-depressant such as Paxil or an anti-anxiety agent such as Klonopin.
GODS WORD IS MEDICINE...

I am the body of Christ and satan has no power over me. For I over come evil with good... ( I Cor 12:27; Romans 12:21 )
I am God and have over come Satan. For greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world. ( I John 4:4 )
I will fear no evil for Thou art with me Lord,Your Word and your spirit they comfort me. ( Psalm 23:4 )
No evil will befall me neither shall any plague come near my dwelling. For you have given your angels charge over me and they keep me in all my ways, and in my pathway is life and there is no death. ( Psalms 91:10-11; Proverbs 12:28 )
Christ has redeemed me from the curse of the Law. Therefore I forbid any sickness or disease to come upon this body. Every disease, germ, and every virus that touches this body dies instantly in the name of Jesus. Every organ and every tissue of this body functions in the perfection to which God created it to function, and I forbid any malfunction in theis body, in the name of JESUS.. (Galatians 3:13;Romans 8:11; Genesis 1:30; Matthew 16:19 )

YOU ARE THE OVERCOMER AND YOU OVERCOME BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB AND THE WORD OF MY TESTIMONY....
BillH, I have the exact same symptoms. It is not caused by anxiety, it is an irritated vegas nerve by way of an irritated esophagus. The light headedness and pain in the arm are symptoms of a heat attack because the vegas nerve wanders through your chest and is also connected to your heart. So haitial hernia patients can frequently have heart attack symptoms for that very reason. I have had all the heart tests too, and its fine. Its just your stomach. Cardiovascular exercise like walking on a treadmill and dropping a few pounds has greatly relieved my symptoms. Get to your targed heart rate for 20 to 40 minutes each day and you will not have much problem after a month or so. I am proof. And if you want proof of the vegas nerve thing, ask President Bush about his pretzel incident. That is exactly what caused him to passout, an irritated vegas nerve. So relax, know that its your stomach, put your hands over your head, burp, and get some exercise. You will feel much better. :)