Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hiatal Hernia and pregnancy?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hiatal Hernia and pregnancy?

Hello!  I was recently diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia.  I need to lose some stomach weight and my doctor seems to feel thst this will solve the problem.  I am a 29 year old female who recently got married and would like to start a family this fall.  Are there any risks?  Will my hernia get bigger?

thanks!
I cannot think this would cause you any probs when pregnant...the only reason I say this is that I was told by my surgeon that 40% of the population have a hiatal hernia they are just not always aware of it....so if there was a problem it would affect alot of people and I am sure we would have more about it.....I have had my hernia repaired at the same time as reflux surgery .....and I am thinking of adding to my family soon......I am 33
Thank you Sue for your comments.  This helped a lot.  My doctor did not want to do any surgery because I guess mine was too small to worry about.  You mentioned that you had surgery for your hernia with reflux.  Did you have a lot of trouble?
I did have quite a bad time of it for a while ....the reflux made me feel sick most of the time...heartburn was secondary really...but I am fine now...thanks for asking
I have a small hiatal hurnia.  I have been through three pregnancies.  Didnt gain much weight due to the vomiting in my first. i popped lots of rolaids and Tums, drinking Mylanta really helped but i didnt figure that one out until my third pregnancy.  It is possible to be pregnant and have a hiatal hurnia.  Check with your OB to see which drugs are safe during pregnancy, even before you actually get pregnant.  Good luck
Thank you kiagirl for your response!  This has been very helpful...  :)
A related discussion, hiatus hernia and pregnancy was started.