Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Hida scan results
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hida scan results

I had a HIDA scan recently of my gallbladder and common bile duct and it showed that everything was ok from my liver, through the bile duct and into the gallbladder.  However, when they gave me the CCK to cause my gallbladder to contract, it did not contract as much as they would have liked.  I forget the exacts, but it was something like 25%.  I think the doc said that anything under 35% or so and it means the gallbladder isn't functioning very well.  However, they don't recommend surgery unless it's like under 15%.
  Please clarify if you can.  Also, are there any other reasons other than a dysfunctional gallbladder that would result in my gallbladder not contracting.  
  I'm a 30 y/o, relatively healthy male, with IBS.  Thnak you
______
Dear Tom C, The impaired gall bladder contractions after CCK is considered an indication for inflammation of the gall bladder wall and therefore cholecystitis.  In the absence of gall bladder symptoms, I would not suggest any further investigations or treatments of the gall bladder.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  ASk specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: gallbladder, cholecystitis, HIDA scan, CCK