High ALT/AST
I am a 32 year old female 5'1" 120 lbs. I went to a gastroenterologist regarding worsening IBS symptoms. He sent me for blood tests and my ALT was 119, AST 281. He followed up with Hepatitis A, B, and C tests, all came back negative. He has advised me to quit drinking alcohol for 3 months and return for testing. If my ALT and AST levels are still high, he'll do a liver biopsy. I do drink alcohol about three times a week on average, and my biological father is an recovered alcoholic. Besides abstaining for 3 months, which I will most definitely do, is there anything else I should look into or any recommended liver detox routines I should follow? Are these ALT and AST levels particularly high? I do not take any drugs or have any other conditions besides the IBS. Thank you.
These are certainly moderately elevated liver enzymes, and the pattern (the AST being higher than the ALT) indicative of an alcohol pattern.

The approach by you physician is reasonable.  You may also want to consider a liver ultrasound to evaluate for any anatomical abnormality.  

Abstaining from alcohol should certainly be done.  Support groups like AA can be considered.  Medications like Naltrexone reduces the risk of relapse to heavy drinking and the frequency of drinking compared with placebo, but does not substantially improve abstinence (avoidance of all drinking).

You can discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

Bibliography:
Gold et al.  Treatment of alcohol abuse and dependence.  UptoDate, 2005.
I am going through the same thing now, my Dr. told me normal liver ALT is 0-40, AST 0-37. Yours look pretty high. I went for the hepatitis blood work today, I feel it will be normal.
I went through this once before, and did the Standard Process detoxification program. It worked! follow up blood work was good. It's 3 wks of shakes and supplements not a lot. and really cut out alot of foods. All the instructions come with the detox kit. It costs $200.plus I'm not sure, Maybe $212.
You can only buy Standard Process products through a Dr. or Chiropractor, the latter is your best bet. They have been around for 75 yrs. a company you can trust.Only whole food supplements. If they don't have it they can order for you. I work for a chiropractor and that's how I know about this. I know I sound like a commercial, and believe me I have no connection to this company.
Good Luck!
A related discussion, High ALT & AST levels!! was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?