Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
High GGT level so MS treatment refused

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

High GGT level so MS treatment refused
I am 50 years old, male, and have had MS for 30 years I have also had a problem with alcohol.  I have been refused the treatment copaxone because my GGT reading was high.
When doctors tried to get the reading down from 72, I was given heptaten and I have not had any alcohol for more than a month and have kept to their suggested diet, but my GGT reading is going up.  it is now over 200.  I have had am ultrasound which has ruled out some other possibilities.

I wish to know why I should be refused copaxone and also what reasons there could be for my GGT to be getting higher.
I agree with the ultrasound to exclude anatomical liver and gallbladder disease.  

Alcohol can certainly raise the GGT.  I would consider abstaining to see if that would lower the level.  Blood tests to exclude hepatitis should also be considered.  

There is a possibility that the MS medication may affect the liver, hence the reluctance of your physician to use it in a setting of an elevated GGT.

If the liver enzymes continue to rise or stay elevated, you can consider a liver biopsy for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com