Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
High GGT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

High GGT

Dear Kevin
Your forum is great!!!  I recently had my bloods checked and everything is normal except a slightly high GGT of 78. All other liver tests were completely within the normal range. I was also checked for hepatitis and it was all clear. My cholestrol is also very low - with a reading of 4.2.  I am slightly overweight and drink approximately three glasses of wine per night. I was concerned to see that the GGT level was a bit high, but my Dr. said that this elevation on its own is unlikely to indicate any type of disease. I asked if I should do anything different and he said there was no reason for concern.  From what I have been reading however, this GGT reading may be dangerous.  I guess I am wanting to know if a GGT reading of 78 (in isolation) is a cause for concern.  My Dr. didn't seem concerned at all.

Thanks for your assistance.  Kind regards
Tags: ggt
An isolated elevated GGT isn't specific enough to diagnose disease, however problems with the liver and pancreas can lead to an elevation.

Further evaluation can be done with an abdominal ultrasound or CT scan to image the pancreas and liver.  I would also obtain viral hepatitis tests.

If medication affects the liver, the ALT and AST would likely be elevated as well.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Hi Kevin
Just following on from my post above, I meant to also say that I do take medication - thryoxine daily for a thyroid condition. I also take nurofen and cold tablets etc. as required.  Could the medication also be effecting my GGT levels?  Thanks
A related discussion, High GGt was started.