Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
High SGOT (AST) SGPT (ALT)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

High SGOT (AST) SGPT (ALT)

Dear Doctor's and/or other medical personel

I am 32 years of age.  My family doctor had put me on Lipator 20mgs 1 year ago. He advised me that we need to keep an eye on my Liver enzines.  So every 3 month I went to see him to do blood work.  Each time I went everything was great.  All levels were normal.  In June I went and my AST and ALT's were above normal, but not by much.  My doctor told me not to be concerned.  I took myself off of the Lipator for piece of mind.  I recently went back on August 18th 2004, and My AST were 82 and My ALT were 108.  I was very concerned.  I spoke with my doctor and he told me that it was a fatty liver, without futher appointments to be 100% sure. When I got home I went to Goole and starting reading about high AST, and ALT and everything I read was about Liver Problems.  Well I am concerned because I have never Drank Alchol, I do not do Drugs, I take Herbs daily, I am over weight by about 100 pds, but my weight has never been a problem before.  Do you think I have a serious problem? And do you think me taking Lipator is the reason my ALT, and AST are high? And will the levels go back down?  I don't know what to do, and my doctor does not seem concerned at all. He thinks I am a hypercondereact.  some might agree, but I have always been health, and now I am unsure.  What do I do.  Please help me.  One last question on the summury report he mailed to me, my ALP was 83 which is normal, but what kind of test is that?  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions.  

Thank you,
God bless
The liver enzymes should decrease once the Lipitor is stopped (assuming this is the cause of the elevation).  Other possible causes would include hepatitis as well as fatty liver.  

More information on the ALP can be found here:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003497.htm

I would consider obtaining blood tests looking for hepatitis as well as an ultrasound to confirm or rule out fatty liver.

If the enzymes continue to increase, a liver biopsy would be the definitive test - this is typically considered if the ALT persists past 3 times the upper limit of the normal range.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, AST AND ALT'S TEN TIMES THE NORMAL was started.
A related discussion, LIVER ENZYMES AND TRYGLYCERIDES was started.