Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
High SGOT (AST) SGPT (ALT)
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High SGOT (AST) SGPT (ALT)

Dear Doctor's and/or other medical personel

I am 32 years of age.  My family doctor had put me on Lipator 20mgs 1 year ago. He advised me that we need to keep an eye on my Liver enzines.  So every 3 month I went to see him to do blood work.  Each time I went everything was great.  All levels were normal.  In June I went and my AST and ALT's were above normal, but not by much.  My doctor told me not to be concerned.  I took myself off of the Lipator for piece of mind.  I recently went back on August 18th 2004, and My AST were 82 and My ALT were 108.  I was very concerned.  I spoke with my doctor and he told me that it was a fatty liver, without futher appointments to be 100% sure. When I got home I went to Goole and starting reading about high AST, and ALT and everything I read was about Liver Problems.  Well I am concerned because I have never Drank Alchol, I do not do Drugs, I take Herbs daily, I am over weight by about 100 pds, but my weight has never been a problem before.  Do you think I have a serious problem? And do you think me taking Lipator is the reason my ALT, and AST are high? And will the levels go back down?  I don't know what to do, and my doctor does not seem concerned at all. He thinks I am a hypercondereact.  some might agree, but I have always been health, and now I am unsure.  What do I do.  Please help me.  One last question on the summury report he mailed to me, my ALP was 83 which is normal, but what kind of test is that?  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions.  

Thank you,
God bless