Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Horrible pain in liver area!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Horrible pain in liver area!

I have been having alot of pain right below my right rib-cage.
  My doctor has taken blood and said it was fine. Also, i've had an MRI and that didn't
  show anything. Lately my stomach has been somewhat painful to.
  My doctor said the liver can't feel pain and that it was probably a gastro problem
  and sent me to a gastroenterologist. I have GERD and am currently taking Prilosec for
  it. One last thing you should know, I have been known to drink rather heavily. When I don't
  drink the pain is a little better but certainl not good. I'm beginning
  to get really scared because nobody can tell me whats wrong and
  I've heard 3 stories of similar pain recently and it turned out to be cancer
  Can alcohol alone cause this kind of pain?
______________
Dear Kevin,
The liver an be a source of pain when the capsule surrounding the liver is stretched.  This stretching can occur when there is inflammation of the liver or if the liver is enlarged.  Alcohol use can cause an enlarged liver by fat infiltration.  Additinally, alcohol can cause inflammation (alcoholic hepatitis).  As the other respondents indicate alcohol can also play a role in the development or exacerbation of other gastrointestinal problems e.g. GERD, ulcer disease.
I agree that you should stop the alcohol.  If stmptoms persist, additional testing may be needed.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: alcohol, abdominal pain
0.2