Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
How long before fatty liver heals

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

How long before fatty liver heals

I was a heavy drinker for 15+ years, but I stopped completely about 4 months ago.  I went it for blood tests, and my liver function was normal.  Because I had some pain in my right side, the Dr sent me in for a CT Scan, which showed fatty infiltration of liver, but the liver was of normal size.  With continued abstenance from alcohol, how long might it take for this to reverse itself?  If I look this up on the internet, many sites claim that it will go away within a few weeks.  My CT Scan took place about 6 weeks after I quit drinking and it still showed up as fatty liver.
My Gastroenterologis said it took awhile to create the fat in the liver, and it will take awhile for it to go away.  I will be getting a follow-up sonogram in June.
I am not over weight and I am in good physical shape.  Based on this, will the fat eventually go away, and how long might it take????
Also, is there anything else I can do to improve my situation??
The time it takes to reverse is patient dependent, as well as home much damage was done to the liver.  It can be a few weeks to a few months.  

Alcohol may not be involved as well.  NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) can also lead to fatty liver.  Typically, the treatment for this would include weight loss and improving the diet.  

If the symptoms continue, a liver biopsy can be done to exclude other liver diseases.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com