Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
How long for healing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

How long for healing

I have been diagnosed ( via endoscopy) with stomach inflammation and was also found to have H. Pylori. I finished Prevpac last week and am now on 40 mg Nexium. While my symptoms see to be going away slowly ( nausea and burning in my stomach, particualrly in the morning) I was wondering if anyone has experience on how long it will take until my stomach will heal.
My primary care dr. believes that this was the result of stress gastritis from surgey for my neck in Jan. I am not taking any other med's except the Nexium.  I am 49 years old and have never had any stomach problems until now!

.................I was also on this antibiotic trio, all I can tell you is this: It ruined my entired system, although H Pylory may have been the cause of my reoccurent ulcer, nothing was more devastating than the after math of this brutal treatment. I believe that a good 14 days of acid suppressants would have done the trick, however my rush-rush doctor, decided it was the best thing to do.
Were you diagnosed with H. Pylori? Did the Prevpac work?  How are you feeling now?
I completely agree with INALOTOFPAIN statements.  I myself went thorough antibiotic treatment to erradicate the H Pylori bacteria.  I was completely asymtomatic as far as stomach pains but this quack suggested that I need to be treated for the bacteria.  After the first treatment, I started to develop bruning stomach along with frequent acid refluxes.  After two weeks, my quack did some quick blood work and decided that the bacteria are still there and hence recommended same combination of antibiotics as the first treatment- Amoxicillin, flagyl, and prevacid.  I later on found out that blood test cannot tell the presence of the bacteria after the first diagnosis.  In addition, if bacteria is still there after the first treatment, it is likely to be resistant to antibiotics being used and hence different combination is in order, which my quack completely was not aware of.  Anyway, after the second treatment, my stomach was so irritated with abtibiotics that I could not sleep and go to work due to severe burning and stabbing pain. That is not the end of the horror story..
My quack now insisted on endoscopy saying maybe something like cancer or ulcer is causing the stomach pain.  Hello!!! it is you that is the cause!! Anyway, I still went along and endoscopy revealed severe stomach inflammation.  This is not the end of my quack's incompetence.   After biopsy report, he said there is still bacteria and this is the cause of pain.. Come on!  He presribed now different combination of antibiotics..
And that was the last time I have seen him... I changed my doc at Stanford Medical Center and ever since then my current physician has tried to help me heal the stomach lining mainly with PPI drugs such as Prevacid and nexinum.  I am doing better than before but after one year and three months since the antibiotics treatment, I am still having problems with stomach and IBS which are the side effects of the treatment.

In my opinion, avoid antibiotics treatment for H pylori.  I don't think H pylori is a significant health threat unless there are ulcer or gastritis detected in the presence of the bacteria.  For asymptomatics patients with the bacteria, there may be no need for the erradication as the treatment itself may pose more health risk than the bacteria itself.
If you've taken antibiotics please consider taking probiotics available from a health food shop. I was on tonnes of antibiotics for pneumonia and I wish I knew to take probiotics after the treatment. Probiotics help restore the natural digestive enzymes in your digestive tract. I developed unbearable stomach pain a week after I finished the last course of treatment. PLEASE consider using probiotics. It should speed up your recovery.

By the way, after a few days on probiotics my pain was virtually gone but I was overcome with extreme exhaustion which is still going on 3 weeks later- anybody else have this tiredness? If so, how long did it last?
Thanks for the advice on the probiotics. I will take them and let you know how things progress. I haven't had to many side effects of the prevpac, except some diareha.
Still would like to know if anyone has experience on how long it takes for stomach lining to heal after getting rid of H. Pylori.  I am on 40 mg of Nexium per day and 150 mg of Zantac, taken before I go to bed.

Any ideas!!

Wheatonmom
i also have done the prevpac and endured the torture after that my stomach burned so bad i couldn't eat a friend told me about aloe vera jel.drink 1oz. 3xa day.i did this and honestly within 48hours my stomach felt better.in 1week the burning was almost gone.i told my dr. about this and he saidhe frequently recommened aloe to his pts. but just failed to mention this to me.you can get this at any health food store.be sure and get the gel not the juice.good luck,larkin
I am also taking the Prevpac.  I have also had an endoscopy and biopsy.  Now I am going to have a CT scan done.  Is this all normal?  Also, will I have any problems once I am off the Prevpac?
A related discussion, prevpac was started.