Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
How long to lactose intolerance symptoms last?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Since sunday i've had almost every lactose intolerance symptom except vomiting, I really hope I don't vomit, but I've had diarrhea, gas, and cramps since then. Two days ago I pooped 6 times, yesterday 4, and today so far only once. I haven't been consuming any dairy whatsoever since Tuesday. Do you think I'm just trying to get rid of the extra lactose in my body? I'm sure it's lactose intolerance because I don't have to poop immediately after I eat an apple or a fresh salad (the dressing contains NO lactose). On Sunday -Tuesday I did consume quite a lot of dairy. So how long do you think the symptoms will last?
Lactose intolerance can come from the gradual loss of the enzyme needed to digest lactose in adulthood or, more acutely, because of infections such as gastroenteritis. In the latter situation, it usually takes 3-7 days to see improved tolerance of lactose.
Hello, thanks for your response! My stools keep changing, like I'll have diarrhea 3-4 times one day and then I'll have more solid stools twice the next day. And before I have to go I have really bad cramping. I do have ovarian cysts, and I'm supposed to start my period soon, so maybe that's the cramping. But it's worrying me. I know I need to go to the doctor, but I have bad anxiety that I'm working on. Oh, and I have asthma, and I've been experiencing chest tightness. And I keep getting sharp stabbing pains in random places in all over my abdomen. Can you give me any idea what's wrong with me? I know you'd have to see me, but I'm really trying to get to the doctors, but in the mean time I'd like to stop stressing over it so much. Cause I need to stay calm cause stress makes it all worse.
The possibilities are too numerous to give a good answer wit jout some evaluation. I hope you can overcome your anxieties and seek help.
Thanks, I'm really trying.