Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
How much alcohol over how many years causes liver disease?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a female professional who just turned 30 years old.  Over the last 3-4 years I have been drinking beer on a daily basis in the evening.  On average, it has been approximately 6 beers per night over the last 3 years or so.  In the last 4 or 5 months, I have had a dull pain on my right side, about 2 or 3 inches below my rib cage.  The pain has come and gone, but over the last week or so, it seems more consistent and a little more intense.  Also, now it sometimes hurts in my back, also a dull pain.  The funny thing is that the pain goes away while I am drinking in the evening, but hurts during the day, and espcially when I wake up in the morning.  I had liver function tests done 6 months ago, which were normal, with the exception of one enzyme being 1 pt high.  My doctor said however, that my liver was healthy.  My questions is:  Is there anyway I could have severely harmed my liver in the last 6 months?  Could this pain be "fatty liver" or hepatitis, or even cirrosis (cirrhosis)?  Have I been drinking long enough to have cirrosis (cirrhosis)?  I am very scared.  Also, I have noticed excessive loss of scalp hair in the alst 2 months, and take no medications.  I read this could be a result of liver disease.  I am ready to stop drinking, and I am very scared of what I may have done to my body.  Also, can drinking alcohol cause anxiety and depression?  Thank you for your help.
Do you have any nausea which accompanies this pain, or nausea and vomiting later?  Your symptoms could be caused by many sources, and a thorough examination and complete blood count by a digestive specialist would be the way to go.  The pancreas is very much affected by alcohol consumption, is located where you complain of pain, and when inflamed can cause pain, nausea, fatigue and vomiting.  Pancreatic pain often radiates to the back.  I suggest you see a doctor, preferreably a gastroenterologist, as soon as you can.  Meanwhile, try abstaining from any alcohol and see if that helps.  Good luck!

Nanny
Was doing a little reaearch on galltones and what you describe
seem to be the exact symptoms. See if you get the pain in the front about 45 minutes after you eat. This is a sign of gallstones, also pain in back between shoulder blades another sign of gallstones. Good luck
i get the same releif when drinking, the pain goes away but i do know that i have gastritis and duadenitis(spelling) which is where all the stuff goes thru after being consumed and gets agrovated by booze...ho hum.