Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
How to Wean off Naxium

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

How to Wean off Naxium

I'm currently taking Nexium (40mg per capsule), twice a day.  Been taking it for almost a week now.   My doctor wants me to take this dose until Monday then call to update my gastritis/reflux condition.

I don't want to take 2 Nexium or even 1 Nexium for the any length of time.  I know people who have been taking Nexium for years - I don't want to be one of them!

I've heard alot about DCL and want to try some alternatives but of course, don't want to go thru the discomfort and pain I experienced before the Nexium.  

Nexium is helping, not 100% but my condition is much better - at least I'm sleeping through the night now.  

Any suggetions on how I should proceed to switch over to DCL.  How long do you take DCL before you see improvement?  Or, can I take both, DCL and Nexium and then try stopping the Nexium?
I am using DGL.  You can start taking the DGL while you're weaning yourself off the Nexium.  I was taking Prevacid and having worse stomach pain than I did before (the Prevacid)!  I called my pharmacist, who told me to start by taking one (I was only on one a day) every other day.  After a week or so, I would take one every 2 days...until my prescription ran out, which only amounted to around 2 wks.  I was using the DGL for a couple of weeks before this (2 chewed slowly, about 20 min. before meals and if I needed it, also at bedtime) and it did take me awhile to notice an improvement, but I think that was because the Prevacid had my system so screwed up, that it took longer than it might for others.  Once the bad effects of the Prevacid wore off (maybe 3 wks. for me) my stomach stopped hurting!  I still have little flare ups of stomach discomfort, but still take the DGL faithfully.  I think my flare-ups have something to do with stress and worry though.  That can make a big difference.  I am scheduled for the endoscopy in 2 weeks, so I'll find out what's going on with me.   Ask your pharmacist about you're case...he'll probably tell you to start by taking 1 nexium a day and then, after awhile, 1 every other day...Good luck to you!
Needabreak's suggestions on weaning yourself off Nexium is right on.  Unfortunately, I didn't do that and my esophagus and throat felt like someone put a blow torch to them.  I, too, am on DGL.  It has really helped me.  I am not on any meds now for reflux. Previously, I was on Aciphex for 2 years.  My stomach got in terrible condition.  I had diaherra (diarrhea) and stomach aches and burning all over my body.  This stopped when I got off the medicine.

I have read when a person stays on meds for indigestion for long periods of time that because there isn't acid in the stomach as there should be a person doesn't digest there foods as they should and therefore don't absorb it as they should either.  Also bacteria can grow in the stomach before there isn't any acid there to kill it.

I got a juicer and make carrot juice pretty often.  It is very healing.

I went to an M.D. that also prescribes alot of vitamins and he gave me Micel-A which is a liquid vitamin A. It also heals the throat.  Check with your doctor on how much to use.  You can overdose on A.

When my throat was especially sore, I would suck on Slippery Elm throat lozenges.  My doctor also has me on Glutamine which is an amino acid.  I take this twice a day in water.  Check with your doctor or a health food store for these items and directions.

I recently had a Endoscope done.  The last one was about a year and a half ago.  I went from moderate to mild on the grading of my gastritis so I was very happy.  I knew that it was healing because my throat and esophagus didn't feel raw any more.

Stay away from fried foods, spicy foods, chocolate, tomato products, pepper, alcohol, citrus fruit & juice, coffee, tea, cocoa & cola beverages.  You may try decaf coffee or cola and see how that works.  They also say to stay away from milk products. They don't bother me.  Everyone is different.

Eat at least 3 hours before you go to bed.  Evalute your bed 6-8".  If you are overweight, lose some. I did and this does help.  Don't wear tight fitting clothes.  Don't smoke, smoking reduces LES pressure.

The doctor that I go to took me off of all sugars and processed foods.  I try to eat only whole foods now.  The more a food is processed the worse it is for you.

Hope some of these suggestions help. Let us know how you are doing and good luck.
GO GIGGY!  Where did you get your juicer?  I'm thinking of getting one.  I also use the slippery elm lozenges and find them soothing.  My endoscopy is coming up next week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results are good.  Good advice.  Keep up the good work.
I got a Juiceman, Jr. Professional Series 211 from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Around $80. This one has a high & low button on it.  I have also seen them at Wal-Mart.  It came with some different juice recipes and you can also order a juice book.

Good luck on your endoscope, Needabreak.  I have a ph test and mobility test done next week.  I have a hiatal hernia.  I am still praying that I will not have to have surgery.