Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
I am very confused about my symtoms(symptoms)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

For the last two months I have been experiencing excessive burping and flatuance.  I also have had frequent chest pain.  It feels like burps are being trapped in my chest and cause slight discomfort.  To add to the problem, I have recently accpeted a new job and I have been under a great deal of stress, extremely stressed.  My stomach feels like it is always nervous.  Now, I have been to see several doctors, not a speacialist and they have said my heart and lunges are fine.   I have gotten two different diagnosis- Gerd or perhaps a cartiledge strain.  The pain in my chest circulates around both of my breast bones.  As far as gerd goes I do not smoke or drink but I drink about 12 cans of diet coke a day.  I just cut my diet coke consumption down to 2 a day- no relief yet.  Also, I feel like my glands in throat swell at times, but I do not know if this is do to anxiety or allergies. When I get very nervous or stressed I often feel my throat get tight, It seems to be do to my anxiety level and foor the last several years I seem to get this feeling in my throat twice a year, usually when my allergies are acting up. As far as gerd goes, I do not have heart burn or reflux at all just a lot of belching.  I must admit that I get very nervous about life and often excessively worry Do you think I have gerd,costochondritis or is this anxiety.  I am 36 yearls old and in very good shape.  If this is gerd, is this a life threatning condition?  Very confused.

Thank you for your help

There are many reasons for chest discomfort - GERD, anxiety or a muscle cause are all possible.  

Ruling out heart disease is a must - and can be done with a stress test.  

GI causes can be evaluated with an upper GI series or upper endoscopy.  I would also consider blood tests looking for H Pylori, a bacteria associated with ulcers and inflammation.  Further testing can be considered with an ultrasound or 24-hr pH study.  

Once those causes have been ruled out, less serious causes like muscular causes or anxiety can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Hi!  I just want to say that you sound exactly like me.  I am having excessive belching issues which feel like air/gas is trapped in my esophagus/chest.  Dr. is sending me for a complete upper GI test & the Hida(I believe)gallbladders thing.  I don't go until Oct. 11 for that, but will get back to you with my results.  Maybe they'll help.  

Also, I am an EXTREME WORRY WART!!  I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Throidits & since then have felt like dog ****.  My head is lightheaded virtually all the time, & I am tired and depressed which is very unusual for me.  

Fill me in on any updates with your condition & I will with mine.  Thoughts & Prayers are with you...good luck & hang in there.
Hello.  I have had similar problems for the past 8 years.  It feels like gas is stuck in my chest.  If I do not get the gas out by burping, then it feels like my heart is pounding.  I have difficulty sleeping because of this, and it consumes most of my day.  I start getting anxiety from this as well, and it gets worse.  I am on Lexapro for other related depression/panic attack issues.  Maybe they are related?   Does this sound like you?
Next time you visit your doctor, ask him to do a blood test for Celiac Disease.  If the anitbody test is positive, they will do further tests.
Many doctors do not routinely test for this, but it is far more common than they think (about 1 in 100 americans has it, but most are undiagnosed and suffering)

Headaches, fatigue, "brain fog"--inability to concentrate, gas, bloating, constipation or diareah can all be symptoms of Celiac disease (so can many other symptoms)
The difficulty is in the fact that each person presents with different symptoms, but it is definately worth checking.
I have all your symtoms (symptoms), and have been to 2 different doctors, who both say I am swallowing air.  Just wondering what your diagnosis has been since your last posting.  Thanks much.
Same symptoms here... shortness of breath and a vague feeling of discomfort which is relieved by belching.  I also don't have any noticeable heartburn.

Please follow up and post if you find out anything:)!!
i have similar symptoms, such as feeling bloated, lots of belching, and sometimes it feels like a little prickly feeling arond my heart.  i normally masarge around my heart to releive the tension, this cna de detramental, in my opinion gas trapped under your heart can cause one of your vessel to break.  to treat the gas, it is better to drink just water slowly, if you engulf the water it adds to the discomfort and you can start breathing heavily and get real nervous, you can also fall flat on your back.  just be patient and do not eat nothing, just drink the water slowly.  the gass will all escape then because air is less dense than water.  i am not a medical doctor, i am simply telling how i treat mine.  once you start getting nervous, just call on the Lord, "O Lord Jesus i love you!  you are my medical doctor, no one can heal me but you.. that is it
hope that helps