Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
IS 80MG of Nexium too Much

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

IS 80MG of Nexium too Much

I'm 28 year old male. With a bad history of stomach acid problems and acid reflux. Also history of IBS. I had a Nissen Wrap done about 8 months ago. But I still need to take the Nexium. I take 80 mg .... this is what the Drs said to take. I still have stomach problems ( pain in the right side ) . It comes and gos. I'm worried about taking all that Nexium. If I drop down to only 40mg it doesn't work. What should I do ? Can I get cancer by taking too much of this Nexium?
Here is the dosing of Nexium from the Drug Information Handbook:
"DOSING: ADULTS
Healing of erosive esophagitis: Oral: 20-40 mg once daily for 4-8 weeks; may consider an additional 4-8 weeks of treatment if patient is not healed

Maintenance of healing of erosive esophagitis: Oral: 20 mg once daily; clinical trials evaluated therapy for 6 months

Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux: Oral: 20 mg once daily for 4 weeks; may consider an additional 4 weeks of treatment if symptoms do not resolve

Helicobacter pylori eradication: Oral: 40 mg once daily; requires combination therapy"

Thus, typically Nexium does not go above 40mg.  The proton pump inhibitors are an extremely safe class of drugs. However, differences in their metabolism may lead to specific drug interactions. The long-term safety of these drugs has been best established with omeprazole since it was the first to become available clinically. These data suggest that its use for more than 15 years is safe.

I am not aware of an association with cancer due to long term exposure with these class of medications.  If you are still having symptoms despite maximal doses of Nexium, you may want to consider a revision of the surgery as an option.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
Wolfe.  Overview and comparison of the proton pump inhibitors for the treatment of acid-related disorders.  UptoDate, 2004.
Here is what I know. Also check out link at bottom.

U.S./Canadian Brand Names
Nexium
I take 60mg daily of nexium post fundo surgery..Prior to surgery I took 100mg daily for more than a year..I have never heard that nexium causes cancer...I do know that acid-reflux can cause cancer. If you are still having reflux following fundoplication surgery, nexium seems to provide alot of protection...Do you still follow the GERD diet and other lifestyle changes since surgery?
Antacids can have serious side effects. Antacids can make the stomach more vulnerable to food poisoning. Normally, Vibrio vulnificus, a potentially fatal bacteria found in raw shellfish, is killed by stomach juices. But, the bacteria can survive up to two hours in the presence of antacids, causing severe vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.23

Antacids interact with or prevent the absorption of many medications including: