Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
If you still have pain after Gallbladder removal..

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I saw so many people who had had there Gall bladders out on here that were still experiencing pain.  I haven't had mine out yet and I started doing a little research.  This is a little something that I found.  It's very technical but maybe it will give you and your doctors a tool.  God Bless.

After cholecystectomy, a few patients experience new or recurrent biliary colic-like pain; the pathogenesis and clinical course of postcholecystectomy pain are poorly understood. Papillary stenosis, which may occur before or after cholecystectomy, is a structural or functional disorder of the ampulla of Vater involving the terminal ducts and sphincters, causing pain from impeded flow of biliary or pancreatic secretions. Rarely, patients have demonstrable papillary fibrosis of the sphincter area, perhaps caused by prior inflammation or operative trauma. In the remaining patients with sphincter dysfunction, no structural abnormality is evident, although disturbed function and symptoms are present periodically. Both groups of patients experience periodic colicky pain with variable associated findings of transient elevation of bilirubin or liver enzymes, suggesting cholestasis, or elevation of serum amylase and lipase levels. The biliary tree, and less often the pancreatic duct, may be dilated on direct cholangiography and pancreatography. Sphincter pressures may be elevated when measured during endoscopic ductal manometry. Thus, findings from ERCP and perhaps sphincter manometry are most useful diagnostically. Small residual calculi are discovered in some patients. Endoscopic sphincterotomy may be curative in patients with objective findings but is controversial in patients with pain alone. Episodic pain caused by papillary disorders may have been responsible for the symptoms that prompted cholecystectomy and may be the cause of continued pain after surgery.

I recently had my gallbladder removed and since then, I have not experienced any pain. The problem I have experienced is occasional bouts of diarrhea, other than this, I have been fine.  Occasional bouts of diarrhea are much better than the excruitiating pain that I experienced before my gallbladder was removed.
Hi everyone. I am not sure if I am posting correctly?
I have a question for any of you that have had your gallbladder removed laprascopically.  Did you have back/shoulder pain and if so, how long did it last?  I had my gallbladder removed a week ago today and my back/shoulder is still killing me. It scares me because I had back pain before the surgery.  I guess this can be caused by gas and everyone heals differently, but ouch!!!
Any comments are much appreciated.
Gallgirl
I have also recently had my gall bladder removed; the shoulder pain is the CO2 they used to inflate your belly during surgury. If you use a heating pad on it, that should relieve it till the gas escapes. Hope that helps :0)
I had my gallbladder removed on 9/17/01. It had some debris and polyps in it and the diagnosis was cholesterolosis - which is cholestrol build up along the walls of the gallbladder. Sometimes it causes symptoms, sometimes not. Mine was definitely diseased, and needed to come out, but in the back of my mind, I do have a nagging doubt.  The reason being, I am still having right back torso pain and some pain in the right chest.  I talked with a friend who is an anesthesiologist and he said that there is a main nerve with a lot of nerve endings that runs from the shoulders down to the groin along the meridian where the gallbladder was.  He said it should pass with time...I certainly hope so.  The fullness that I was feeling in the wee hours of the morning is gone, and for the first week, so was the back-pain and spasms...but they have returned, along with some gaseousness and indigestion.  My surgeon said my digestive system is still not normal yet, and it will take a while for it to adjust.... I guess I am just expecting too much too soon. Just because a surgery is outpatient, it's still surgery, and up until a few years ago was considered major surgery. So I guess I need to relax.  I guess I expected more immediate relieve, and no residual symptoms.  Anyone have any first-hand insight into this?
I had mine out with a lap about a month ago, no pain whatsover since.  Within 12 hours I was walking around and was discharged 24 hours after the op.  I now have a jar with yellow sludge, about 20 5mm diameter stones and one huge 3cm by 2cm stone.

I did take muscle relaxants for my stomach as I was hunched over and for a couple of nights I took Paracetemal.

My stools are a little loose but getting better and I've improved my diet.

I also lost about 14 lbs from a few weeks before the op until now, my weight is now stable so this is all an added benefit !! (May be I should have my appendix taken out too !)
A related discussion, Pain after Gallbladder Surgery was started.
A related discussion, My Surgery was started.