Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
I'm afraid that the combination on 6-mp and weekend partying cause...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I'm afraid that the combination on 6-mp and weekend partying caused liver damage

Dr.,
I have been in remission from Crohn's disease for about 5 years now (thank God!), I am currently 23 years old. The secret to my success has been Asacol tablets and 6-mp (Purinethol). My last lab results showed (for the first time ever) elevated SGOT (48) and SGPT (119). I'm afraid that the combination on 6-mp and weekend wild partying has caused liver damage. Is this possible at my age? My doctor and I decided that it would be best if I laid low on the party scene and repeated my blood work after abstaining from alcohol for about a month. I am dying to go out with my friends and enjoy myself on the weekends like I did before! Will this be possible if my lab work comes back normal in a month? Have I caused irreversible damage?
WELL YOUR TALKING TO A PERSON THAT CAN TELL YOU HEAVY ALCOHOL DRINKING CAN CAUSE LIVER DAMAGE NOT TO MENTION CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER .MY CIRRHOSIS CAME FROM BEING INFECTED WITH HEPATITIS C.FROM ONE OF MY SURGERIES. A DRINK OR TWO ON THE WEEKEND DOESN'T HURT . BUT HEAVY DRINKING AND BENGING WILL.I KNOW THIS IS NO DOUBT NOT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR ,BUT IT IS THE FACTS. AND IF YOU DO HAVE LIVER DAMAGE FROM ALCOHOL THEN YOU HAVE TO STOP DRINKING PERIOD.NOT TO MENTION THAT IF YOU HAVE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS HEAVY DRINKING WILL HURT YOU IN THAT AREA ALSO . I DON'T THINK A SOCIAL DRINK EVERY NOW AND THEN IS GOING TO HURT YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER OR OTHER SERIOUS LIVER PROBLEMS .BEST OF LUCK
I would definately try to lay off the weekend partying for awhile...alot of people don't know this..but out of over 100 types of liver disease only one of them is actually caused by alcohol.
Drugs presription or other wise can also cause the liver to work much harder than normal..that combined with alcohol can be very hard on the working of the liver.
You may wish to check with your American Liver Foundation or the Canadian Liver Foundation for more information.
I myself am with the CLF and can provide you with information if you wish. I can be reached at ***@****  or by going to www.liver.ca
Please get the blood work done again in a months time..all the best to you.
-Melody