Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
In continuation of question Slightly elevated ALKP and ALT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hello Dr,

I have acid reflux problem . Doctor did endoscopy and ultrasound . Ultrasound of liver,gallblader (gallbladder) looks good .
One week after they did blood test and found my liver engymes slightly elevated . ALT - 32 , ALKP -141,AST is normal and Blood sugar is 128 and DBILIN is 0.3. So Doctor did test for HEP A,B and c.Everything is negative . After one week he again repeated the blood test .That time ALT - 31 ,ALKP - 138 and AST is normal . Then he did test for Antismooth muscle ab and Antimicrochondrial ab . Everything is negative .Again he repeated the blood test .Now ALT - 40 , ALKP - 133 ,AST is normal and blood sugar is 127 and DBILIN is 0.3 .

The lab result tells  normal ALT is 30,ALKP is 128 and blood sugar is 105 and DBILIN is 0.2 .

Yesterday I asked the same question .You replied only ALKP is  elevated (> 128)with other normal liver engymes .I am very much confused because mine ALT is 40(> 30) now .Higher than the normal value .My blood sugar is  also 127 and DBILIN is 0.3 .And also I lost 4 lbs within one month .This 1 month I was mentally very much stressed and was in depression .Please advice .

Thanks,
The ALT is only mildly elevated.  There are some labs where an ALT of 40 is considered normal.  There has already been an extensive workup done including hepatitis screen, ultrasound and antibody testing.  

There are other considerations, but I would consider then unlikely.  They would include tests for Wilson's disease and hemochromatosis.  The definitive test would be a liver biopsy, but it is doubtful that a physician would do this if the ALT/AST levels are less than 100.  

I would recommend following the liver function tests periodically and make sure it isn't increasing.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.