Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Inability to digest fats
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Inability to digest fats

Hi

Thanks for taking this question.  I recently spent 2 months in Central America, being from the Midwestern US: Indiana.  We didn't take all of the caveats about food too seriously at first.      We were only marginally careful about what we ate, at first.

I contracted numerous E. Coli infections, a case of amoebas, and giardia.  I had diarrhea most of the time.  I took tinidazole, metrinidozole, and tinidizole again over the course of the 2 months.  I also took Ameobreze.  I have been back a month and a half and I still lack the ability to digest fats.  

I may have contracted a different bacterial infection from some bad "Bio-K": a yogurt rich in bacterial cultures, the dirrhea from that lasted 3-4 days.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  The problem was seeming to get better before that incident.

I had a stool sample taken here and tested negative for parasites and giardia (before the "Bio-K" incident).  But my stool is still very loose and I feel tired after moving my bowels.  I also feel drained some days, and need alot of sleep.  The lack of ability to digest fats is evidenced by floating stools after eating fatty foods and some urgency.  Also, I burp alot after eating.

I have GERD, if that is related, and sometimes take papaya enzymes.

Could my bowels be so angry, still?  Is there anything I can take, some supplement or something, to cultivate good colon health to move towards recovery?  Or have I contracted some other problem?  

I have tried eliminating lactose, which helped, but the problem seems linked instead to fats.

I can live with this problem, but I am beginning to wonder if there is some deeper problem, like maybe I destroyed something in my innards and I need a new one.  Of course, that is just me being dramatic, I hope.

Thank you!
Jeremy