Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Infected Lipoma ?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Infected Lipoma ?

I am a 41 year old female with Crohn's disease.  I seem to have an infected lipoma or erythema nodosum in my upper left thigh, and my physician wants to prescribe antibiotics and subsequent drainage by a surgeon to treat it. The small lump, the size of a marble, occured six years ago and has been dormant in my thigh since then, until 4 days ago when it became inflamed.  (When it first occured 6 years ago, my GI did an upper GI series and found nothing, but I did not have the colonscopy he recommended.  I am now scheduled for a colonoscopy next week.)  He doesn't feel this lump is connected to a fistula, so it may be a secondary symptom of Crohn's. Due to my Crohn's I don't agree with all antibiotics as they may adversely affect my colon. In addition, I think the liberal use of broad spectrum antibiotics may be unsafe in the long run. My questions are, 1) How can a lipoma become infected if it's subcutaneous with no visible skin cuts? 2) Is it wise to have a doctor take a culture of the pus so he can decide exactly which antibiotic I need, instead of prescribing a broad one? Would the amount of time the culture would take to grow increase the risk of the infection spreading?   Would taking a culture risk spreading the infection? Thanks, LL