Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Intermittent nausea, gas (burping, incontinence), stomach disomfort
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Intermittent nausea, gas (burping, incontinence), stomach disomfort

About 10 months ago I started to feel mild intermittent nausea, especially at wake up time; nausea typically subsides after eating/drinking.  Few weeks later, other on and off symptoms started appearing: stomach churning, burping, incontinence, burning in esophagus.  All of these symptoms, along with nausea, were intermittent with some days worse than others.  GI doctor performed stool tests, blood work, sigmoidoscopy, endoscopy, however everything came out normal or as expected.  I was put on Aciphex for 3 months but it did not help.  I was later put on Ranitidine for 3 months (300 mg-2x/day) and it helped a lot, leading to many symptomless days.  After Ranitidine, I was told to take Zantac (75 mg) whenever symptoms re-occur.  
My GI doctor (whom I respect and like tremendously) says he believes this is stress-induced, however I stronly feel and believe that there is more to this than just stress.  The symptoms are too real and they are too disruptive to normal life.  I have always followed and continue to follow a very healthy diet and  excercise routine, but symptoms persist anyway and I feel so helpless and frustrated.  Zantac helps treat some symptoms, but it is not the treatment to this serious annoyance.  
Two side comments: first, my mom (born in the Phillipines but lived in the Middle East most of her adult life) always had GI problems, including an amoeba infection that continuously annoyed her  and forced her into strict and miserable diets to avoid the recurring cramps and diarrheas. Could my symptoms have to do with some ameoba (amoeba) infection?  Although not that frequent, I also do experience occasional lower GI cramping and "loose bowels".  
Second, I live in the US, but I was born in the Middle East (Lebanon) and I believe that my current symptoms started right after my last visit to Beirut in August 2003.  Could this be some parasite that is not being detected by the above tests?

I am desperately seeking help and perhaps some helpful recommendations that might help me go back to my doctor with some suggestions/comments/pleas/etc.  I really need to find the reason behind this so I can treat the real reason (the disease) and not just the symptoms.  Your help will be much, much appreciated.
With kind and thankful regards.
N.M.