Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Intussusception and Esophagitis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Intussusception and Esophagitis

When my daughter was 6 months old she had intussusception that was resolved by air after numerous attempts with barrium. At age 8, she began having horrible stomach aches that were in the shape of a frown above her bellybutton. She had an ultrasound, xrays and after 14 of this she had an endoscopy. The doctors said she had "severe esphagitis"- so that it looked as if you was "sneaking a six pack a week for months". She was given Prevaid. After almost two months of the medicine and no improvement- we stopped the drug. At age 10, she had a blood test and they found her allergic to shellfish with a mild irratation to wheat.
  My daughter will be 13 in December and no one can give me a clear answer as to what is wrong with her... I suspect that the intussception has a hand in the pain she has. Please help me to help my child. Direct me, give me your thoughts. I am at the end.
  I'll travel anywhere in the world to have this looked at. PLEASE!!!
I am not sure that the intussusception would be related to the current symptoms.  I would look elsewhere for causes, including GERD, inflammation of the upper digestive tract or an ulcer.  The endoscopy is the appropriate test to look for this.  You may want to consider a 24-hr pH study to definitively look for acid reflux - which can be causing the esophagitis.  An H Pylori test can also be considered, since this can be associated with inflammation as well.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
It's extremely unlikely that intussusception has anything to do with the current circumstances: it's a specific event, and if it were recurring there would be quite specific symptoms. Severe esophagitis in a child suggests reflux, unless she's on certain medications that could cause it. Anti-reflux surgery is a consideration, if there's evidence of continuing inflammation on treatment.
A related discussion, Is this more than GERD? was started.