Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Is Crohn's Genetic?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Is Crohn's Genetic?
  My partner has Crohn's.  He and I have begun to contemplate having a child, but I'm curious to know whether or not our child would be at significant risk of developing the disease.  There is no evidence of Crohn's in my family.  Thank you.
Dear Beata,
Although genetic influences clearly play a role in Crohn