Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Is This IBS or liver, pancreas problem
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is This IBS or liver, pancreas problem

I'm a 29 year old male that is in decent shape. I was dignossed with IBS 5 years ago. I also had a Nissen fundoplication two years ago but I still take 40mg of Nexium every day.

This is the problem when I have a few beers ( 2-5 ) once or twice a
week the next day I have some stinging pain on my right lower side. This pain usually lasts a few days then goes away. My Dr ran some blood work for liver and pancreas. The tests came back normal. Can the pain be IBS flaring up or do I need to get a MRI on the liver and pancreas? What do you think this can be?
Related Discussions
Right lower quadrant pain would be atypical for liver (typically right upper quadrant) or pancreas (typically left upper quadrant) pain.

IBS and the appendix are more typical for right lower quadrant pain.  One can start with an abdominal CT scan to evaluate the appendix.  

If the liver continues to be suspected, an ultrasound of the liver can be considered.  The CT will evaluate the pancreas, and blood tests looking at the pancreatic enzymes can also be done.

MRI can be considered if the CT/ultrasound are non-revealing and the symptoms continue.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
You might also consider a calprotectin assay test, which I have just had in England as I have Crohn's and the cal test will show how much inflammation is in my colon without being an invasive procedure.   This will determine whether you have IBS or IBD. Google it and you will get some good information.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank